Cantwell???

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

Revster

Cantwell???

#1 Post by Revster »

I have never gone for a ride in the cantwell area. Can anyone give me some idea's were to go, and not go, (eg.. mileposts, lodging, hazzards and so on. Thanks :idea:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

If you go to Cantwell area, stay at Backwoods Lodge.

You can get their phone #, email, ect at

http://www.backwoodslodge.com

Riding area is a different matter :) Depends on the riding you like to do. If your into trail riding with points to get off and play in the powder, take the Denali Hwy toward Paxson. It's 97 miles to MClaren Lodge. Great ride.... :lol:

If your into mountain riding, go past the Igloo or off load around the Igloo and ride from there. Others on here know that area better than I.. :wink:

Either way, if you stay at Backwood Lodge, your a block from the restaurant for breakfast/dinner and a 10 minute drive to the Igloo or ride right out of the parking lot to hit the Denali Hwy.

Revster

#3 Post by Revster »

Thanks John, Would that lodge have any trail maps, or are you just following other tracks? I like the powder and mountain (nothing to extreme) riding. All my riding has been on the Paxon/summit lake side of the Denali highway. I am looking forward to a mclaren lodge ride as soon as can get some people to commit to an overnighter or two. I heard Allen was working on a lake louise trail, I would like to check that out 8)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Have to ask them on the map. Kathy posts the weather here quit often, maybe she'll answer that one.

You might like riding both ways, you can get some mountain riding thats not to extreme going either.

I think Allen got the trail in to Lake Louise. Few a years back myself and a couple other tried to help him get it punched from Tangle Lake. I say "tried", as we spend most of our time that trip trying to figure out how to get across the Alphebets, but I do believe Allen did get the trail open and marked.

Darrell

#5 Post by Darrell »

Good place to start is FAA tower on right south of Cantwell
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/wxcams/wxc ... ion=Summit

Or third pull out south of Cantwell (Just before railroad track) follow track east or west. Be sure to take your beacon.

denali wide track

#6 Post by denali wide track »

8) If you like mountain riding that's not too rough, Reindeer Mountain is great, trail starts from the power substation on Denali Highway, just 5 minutes ride from Backwoods Lodge.Just be careful not to mess with local trappers's trails. To know what's what, ask the local Trooper station to give you a map.