Paxson Lodge

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

Darrell

Paxson Lodge

#1 Post by Darrell »

Rumor has it Chet and family have taken back the lodge and they are again charging to park in the park lot there at the lodge..
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Summit800

Re: Paxson Lodge

#2 Post by Summit800 »

Peterson charged to park in their lot as well, so no change...for parking that is

skelsey

#3 Post by skelsey »

we were there last weekend and rode into McClaren lodge. They charged us 5$ for one night.

TheBearAk

#4 Post by TheBearAk »

They tried charging us $10 a night, but my friend protested as she was told $5, they reduced it to $7 a night.

My first trip from that end into the Tangle lake area where we were staying in a cabin. The trip in wasn't all that bad, a little bit of wind and not real cold.

That night the wind kicked up and was blowing 30-40 MPH all night long. Cabin really never got warm (propane heat), due to just not very well sealed up.
Next morning the wind was still kicking pretty hard, but we decided to try and make it over to the Arctic Man area. We sealed up the cabin the best we could from the outside and with the daylight we were hoping that it would be enough.

Went back to Paxson to fill up (most of our gas was in the truck still). And then climbed up the hill to the pipeline and rode over from there. The Wind stopped blowing so hard about 12 miles out of Paxson on the Denali. People at Paxson said the wind was never really blowing hard there. Missed most of the race, but we were pretty tired just from the ride over and after hanging around the main area for a few hours, we decided that we'd ride back to the cabins and then go onto McLaren for dinner. As soon as we dropped down onto Summit Lake the wind started picking up and it just got worse and worse. By the time we climbed up to the Denali highway at 13 mile, the wind was full force, barely see the road. Made it back to the cabin, only to find the inside temp was 30 degrees. We had two choices, pack up and leave or move to another cabin. Fortunately, we were able to move to another cabin with wood heat and very well insulated.

Next day we just decided to pack up and get the *beep* out of there, but the daytime was very very nice. We decided to take a ride over to MacLaren and have lunch there and then head back. The ride to MacLaren, the wind was blowing, but not real hard and almost on cue, crossing over Rock Creek the wind stopped, temp outside was 20 above, lots of snow everywhere. We played a little on the way into MacLaren, had lunch and decided to play a lot on the way back. On the way back, again, almost on cue, crossing over Rock creek the wind picked up and it was starting to really blow hard. Got back to the cabin and hooked up the trailer and we were on our way out. I was really dreading this ride out knowing that the road had huge drifts on it and it was going to be very slow going for most of the way. We drive about 5 miles in about 20 minutes when I see what I thought was a snow plow on the road. Nightmare ride was just getting worse. I veered off the road to look for a smooth path on the side and it just got worse. In my mind I said "I'll ride on gravel for 13 miles before I'll fight this!" Then as I got closer to the plow, I noticed it was not a snow plow, but the groomer!!! Yay!!! As I was riding along, I was noticed all the big left over mounds from where the drifts had been.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

TheBearAk

#5 Post by TheBearAk »

BTW - I talked with one of the family that took the Lodge back over. They sold it 7 years ago, but it wasn't working out and the other people really let the lodge get run down. I could tell that he really wanted to go further into it, but that it was so much that he held back.

He did say that they officially took it back over 5 days previous to April 11. The gas pump was out of order and buried to where the face was only about 12" above the snow.

They plan to fix it back up, but not really sure where the money will come from to do so.
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

Alaskan Polar Bear

#6 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Yes It's true the Chet and Karen have taken back the paxson lodge. the week before arctic man .
there was no menu on Thursday, no heat until Saturday, no hot water ever in my room, 119 and all the grand kids now have kids and the babies are running all over , its a frikken daycare, and their idea of cleaning a room is to pull the blankets up over the pillow, and throw the used towels into a corner "there outa the way" i was told.
they gave the other people a weeks notice and I'm told that they then did as much damage as possible.
No gas, NO propane, 3 babies running everywhere, No hot water, No heat,
I wont be staying there again,
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

Boy a guy could write a book about that place. From Stan Brown up today, what a story. Just hope Allen and Susie hang in there running a roadhouse is not easy.
Did run down to Meiers lake road house via pipeline, 31 mile one way from summit, they seem to have rooms gas food and booze.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

TheBearAk

#8 Post by TheBearAk »

I don't think I'd give up on the lodge yet. Chances are everything froze up, so it will take most of the summer to get all the problems fixed, and that doesn't even touch on any improvements.

They need money, which is unfortunate that they won't be able to make money without getting everything back running.

IMHO, they should concentrate on getting the gas station fixed up and improved. And focus on getting the restaurant fixed up and cooking again.

Put the actual lodge on hold and focus on the easier things like the smaller cabins they rent out.

In short, get the money-makers up and running again and hopefully business will pick up enough to do improvements on the rest of the place.

I got the impression that they took it back over due to lack of payment. If that is the case, they are probably struggling to just get food on their own table.
1995 Skidoo Summit 583