Route Advice - N.P to Fox via Pipeline

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

Christien&Shelbye

Route Advice - N.P to Fox via Pipeline

#1 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

Quick question for you folks who know the local trails better then I do. I need to get a sled from N.P. to the goldstream valley and thought I'd just ride it home instead of trailering. Is it possible to ride the pipeline from North Pole to Fox? Are there any closed/blocked sections. I remember where the pipeline crosses Gilmore Trail there was a low gate that was impassable and you had to ride up onto the road to navigate around it.

Alternatively I was thinking about taking the dike system to peger/vanhorn area but then I'd have to deal with the highway, overpass's, etc... and all that mess around Geist. Any suggestions? Once I get to fox I can just ride the Goldstream public use trails to my destination. Cheers!

Darrell

Re: Route Advice - N.P to Fox via Pipeline

#2 Post by Darrell »

Not an easy trip! Np to chena hot springs (good trail to Steese) right along steese and steese all the way to fox ditch banging :( Another is right at chena hot springs left on Amanita (road then trail) to Gilmore trail but unknown how to get to fox other then road:(
Dike to mouth of chena up Pikes along hoselton and boat street over walk way along Parks bridge, along Parks to Sheep creek to propwash drive to access bridge to gold stream valley.
Used map in phone book to find these streets.
Where is that 100 mile trail around Fairbanks sure could us one.....
If you try please post....
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

TheBearAk

#3 Post by TheBearAk »

Long trip, but possible.

If you want to take the dike system and possible the Tanana river. Then go all the way to Chena Pump Road and then ditch bang up to the highway. Lots of room in the ditches and well beaten down. You can hit some back roads (most are snow/ice covered and only rocked at intersections), to help ease any narrow spots, but for the most part there is plenty of room.

Just-A-Store gas station is right there and you can go next to the back road there and get over to the Parks. Just a short ways up there and you're hitting Sheep Creek/Goldstream.

Even going pretty fast, I think this is about a 4-6 hour trip.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

As already noted, it'll be a long ride and some ditch bagging required.

To your question on the Pipeline route, you can take the pipeline to Fox, but.... There are some spots that have been blocked off by the land owners and you'd have to find a way around them which would probable mean jumping some snow berms and riding on the road. The biggest trouble spots I know of are north on Chena Hot Springs road, haven't ridden then for a few years, but there was some hard spots to get around last time I did it.

From the Floodway to Nordale there are a couple of blocked spots as well, but these usually have a trail around them, once at Nordale, best bet is to ditch bang it past the Little Chena and then pick up the pipeline again in the big fields to the west.

If you do ride it, run a GPS track and ride report for us, be curious of the route you end up taking and the obstacles you run into.

Good luck

REVITUP

#5 Post by REVITUP »

Can you get on the Chena River out towards North Pole?

cleary

#6 Post by cleary »

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

From NP. Run Iron dog trail back to mouth of Chena up to parks hwy bridge, to sheep creek and gold stream road...
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.