Take the Helm..et

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

TheBearAk

Take the Helm..et

#1 Post by TheBearAk »

I've owned and use an HJC Airtech 2 full faced helmet for a long time and was thinking about getting something a little more updated, mostly because the shields are getting harder and harder to find.

What type of helmets does everyone like, keeping in mind the type of riding you do most?
Meaning, racers tend to get the open-face with chin guard and have snap on goggles. Some people prefer full face, some people prefer full-face modular.

I've also hear some people like the heated shield gadget and others think it is a waste of money.

I'd also like to know about durability of any hinges it might have. I had a helmet that had plastic buttons holding the shield on and they were always breaking off. The HJC Airtech using plastic bolts, but the plastic is much thicker and flexible.

On another note: I tried wearing ear-buds in my helmet, but they didn't stay in very well. (I've never cared for earbuds anyway, they block too much external sound). Anyone else put headphones or anything inside their helmet? I was thinking about attaching a pair of old style ear muff headphones, like the ones the old Walkmans came with, and even thinking about a pair of wireless ones.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

Summit800

Re: Take the Helm..et

#2 Post by Summit800 »

A lot depends on your particular riding style. For trail riding I really like my B2VS from Skidoo. very warm, great visibility, the tinted inner shield is great for the sun. My only issue with it is it is too warm for me if warmer than about zero, and if carving in the deep, I will generate enough moisture that the inside of the shield will fog. But if just trail destination riding Is great. replacement parts are readily available, and there are a lot of them out there, so parts should be available for a looong time.

For busting powder, I love my FLY moto x style with goggles and quick straps. Very light and comfortable.

S