Suggestions for figuring out what machine to buy?

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

hvhavel

Suggestions for figuring out what machine to buy?

#1 Post by hvhavel »

So I think my lemony (as in a Lemon, not in color) Arctic Cat Bear Cat died. Sick of it being in the shop more often then in the snow, so husband and I are discussing buying new snowmachines (still in the discussion phase.)

So if I or both the hubby and I were to buy a new, not an Arctic Cat snowmachine, and we are not independently wealthy, what are the have to have features / recommended machine?

We do local 2Rivers area snowmachining - a lot of first traveled trail, I'd like to pull a siglin and pull downed trees for firewood (I like to cut trees in the winter and haul them to their final resting place to be cut.) I'd like to do the occassional (read once or twice a year) Cantwell area ride - but not high pointing or anything like that.

I know I want:
electric start (are there any machines not electric start anymore?)
reverse

Two stroke or Four? Two stroke smell gives my husband headaches, but they run better in the cold - thoughts?

paulneva

Re: Suggestions for figuring out what machine to buy?

#2 Post by paulneva »

Ask Steve Nolan what he bought for hauling wood. He seems very happy with it.

On our last Maclaren trip there was a guy with a newish Tundra. It was light and would go anywhere. It is worth looking at.

Yes, there are new machines without electric start but in most cases it can be added (I paid $700), in a few cases it cannot.

Ask Steve and John Johnston if they have to have electricity where they park their four-strokes.

Paul :sled:
Paul S. Renschen

larry morris

#3 Post by larry morris »

And, remember if you want a 2-stroke you just have to trade in the husband.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Bummer about the Lemon :(

I love my 4 stroke and for what I got it for it's excellent, hauling major loads of building material and trail riding. However, with that said a 4 stroke has it's draw backs. Their heavier and do require more maintenance due to the need to have a good running battery.

A 2 stroke is lighter and doesn't require a battery, except for the electric start you want, but even if the battery is to low to start the machine you can still get it going with the pull cord and get the battery charged back up. I've had 2 issues with my 4 stroke battery and that was when we had major cold temps, below -20 below, and I didn't set up the battery tender or put the battery in a warm environment.

For what it seems you want to do, trail ride, haul some wood, and an occansional trip to Cantwell I'd look at something like a long track Tundra. It'll do good on the trails, get you through semi-deep powder, is, as Paul noted light and could haul wood on the Siglin.

I think you can get electric start and reverse (must have reverse) on them, have to ask the dealer or maybe Steve knows.

Tell hubby he has to ride in front so the exhaust doesn't give him a head ache :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

OK, Here goes. When I was looking to purchase my utility sled, I actually did a lot of research, and It came down to a Skandik or a Bearcat. The two things that I required were Low range and reverse, and I wanted a narrow ski stance. So this led me towards the Skandik, as I wanted a work horse. But I gotta tell you the new bearcats do very well, and have heard many good things about them.

As far as Heathers needs, If I were to purchase a new sled, I really think the newer Tundras are very hard to beat. Now that said, they are a little difficult to ride as the ski stance is very narrow, but once you get accustomed to that, they are probably the most nimble trail/ utility sled out there. In my Skandik WT, I opted for the 600 ACE, and I gotta say this little 4 stroke is awesome. The torque is incredible, and the fuel mileage in the Skandik, While marking trail, was just under 25 MPG. Keep in mind that this is a sled that weighs near 700 pounds. Top speed is right at 65 mph. Which is plenty fast for the workhorse. And the quiet, as with most 4 strokes, is pleasant to say the least.

As far as cold temp starting abilities, When it hit -40 up here last year, I wanted to see if it would start, and after three attempts, the Lil 600 was purring like a lil kitten.

The after market also offers 110V engine coolant heaters and pad heaters that will help starting in the cold. But I figure if its that cold I aint going.

Good luck with your choice, and keep in mind, that no matter how some people feel the need to brand bash, there is not a bad snowmachine out there, I have grown up with Ski Doo, and I have come to know them fairly well, and have had quite good dealer support when needed. Others can say the same about theirs as well.
For your needs I dont think you can beat the Tundra.

Ann and Tom seem quite pleased with theirs. Perhaps they can provide some input.

paulneva

#6 Post by paulneva »

Heather,

The only three replies you got all suggested a Tundra. Let us know what you think after you have done your test ride.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

mit

#7 Post by mit »

My 2010 Bearcat has been good machine so far. What is wrong with yours? I know of 3 others that have been good too. If it's a lemon can they give you another one? Write the company.
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

Alaskan Polar Bear

#8 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

well my money for a all a round sled would be the 550 rmk polaris ,,, it has a better ride , pulls like crazy, and is a bit faster than the ski doo,. it will crawl in the woods , idle for ever,,, after having 4 of the 550 rmk's and 6 550 super sports, i would jump at another one in a heart beat... in cantwell there are 2 that have been streach'd to 151 x 2 that are just wild in the deep snow and climb past almost anything,..
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

Summit800

#9 Post by Summit800 »

An RMK is a fine trail sled,and mediocre mountain sled, but is not built for or would perform well for pulling any kind of weight (such as firewood). Polaris does make a utility sled, but it is the same old sled that they have been building for years. I dont think they are interested in the Utility market.

For a trail/ deep snow/ utility sled, you will not find a better sled out of the box than a Tundra or Bearcat, or even a Viking. An RMK will not perform well for many reasons.

Good luck with your decision.

dragonman

#10 Post by dragonman »

:supperhappy: I know the Polaris Wide Track Still has High and Low Range
and is offered in 600 cc fuel injected and 4 stroke turboed & has pro ride chassis
I think the Arctic Cat 550 is Carburetored. What ever you decide go with fuel injected
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

jpalmer

#11 Post by jpalmer »

I would agree with most of what is said above, but a couple things to consider, comfort and price. I have ridden the skandic SWT and I personally did not like the pogo stick suspension, which i believe all Skandics and tundras have. The problem for me is that there is no sway bar, so when you park on uneven ground, the machine tips downhill, and the lower ski give way, and the other ski pushes wants to push you over. It requires a much more active riding style for uneven trails or sidehilling.

I have a bearcat XT 570 fan, and it is like driving a cadilac. It only goes 55MPH on a hard trail, but it is very comfortable and handles corners and light to moderate sidehilling very well with the swaybar added. It also has a very smooth rear suspension package, which i believe is much better than the ski doo's. Downside is my wife prefers the F1000 over the bearcat becuase the seat is high and she can barely touch the running boards with her feet. Also the bearcat has no low range, but does exceptionally well hauling heavy loads with its one speed, although it feels like it is going to blow up, it has never given me any grief.

I will say that the ski doos have better motor options like the 600 ACE or HO. Bare bones 550 vs 570 fan is a wash, but the bearcat is a better deal, northern has the XT (wide track) for $7999. I think the Skandic is $8500. I would not reccomend the bearcat Z1 4 stroke, too many issues. The XT is very simple and functional.

My main point is that comfort will be more important to about 90% of riders or owners. Brute strength or pulling power are hardly ever used, but your back will be used every time. If you are going to be a full time lumberjack get a Skandic SWT, otherwise i would reccomend the bearcat.

Also if you have an older bearcat, there is a huge difference between the 2008's to the 2010 models, totally different machine.

Opie

#12 Post by Opie »

I was the one on the Maclaren Trip with the Tundra LT 550F. I own two of them. Not too much to add to what's been said above. I really like the machines, but you have to "ride" them because of the narrow stance, you can't sit back and enjoy the trip. Having owned a number of different sleds, for an all-around Alaskan sled, I'm very happy. I'd like Bearcat too, but it's too heavy for me, significantly heavier than the Tunrda LT.

Good luck with your decision.

Darrell

#13 Post by Darrell »

How many of you all with the work machine's would think about pulling a drag if you had one?

Do you think if the club had a drag to sign out, would you use it and return it, where would the club store it?

Idea's, if a drag became available?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

hvhavel

#14 Post by hvhavel »

What is a drag?

Darrell

#15 Post by Darrell »

Should have said groomer, drag something like this http://www.timmshilltrail.com/grooming/drags/drags.htm
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.