Firewood

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

billy6384

Firewood

#1 Post by billy6384 »

Was just wondering if anyone knows places to cut some decent firewood for free or cheap. I moved into a new place that is half wood heat and half heating oil, so trying to cut down on the costs. I'm stationed at Eielson and know both Eielson and Wainwright have designated areas to cut wood for $20 or $30 dollars a load, but it's small, picked through and green. So if anyones knows some place better, or just has a couple dead to semi dead trees the want cleaned up for free just message me. Thanks!

Nick
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Firewood

#2 Post by john »

Nick,

Running a but late for getting wood buddy.

The borough has a cutting area off of Johnson Rd., it's $5.00 a cord, it is green and 99% Birch.

The COE at Chena Lakes will have wood available on Sept 21st or there about. It is the logs they've removed from the *beep* entry, you can find some seasoned wood in it, but it might need time to dry out from rain saturation.

You might also check the state forestry, they have cutting areas off of the Old Nenana road and may have some dry wood, also $5.00 a cord.

Good luck

Side Note: I always start cutting around March/April so I'm done by summer <BG>, let me know next year if you want join up for wood cutting.

billy6384

#3 Post by billy6384 »

Thanks John I will check out those options! We didn't move into the house until the second week in June and realized we would be buring some wood too. But they left about a cord of seasoned wood there, and I've got up a couple loads since. Since we burn oil too, I should only need 4 or 5 more truck loads but want to get a good start on next year too. Green wood for next year will be fine so it can season over the winter and next summer too. I would be interested in doing some spring cutting with you next year. I purchased a new Husqvarna XP346 and it cuts through those trees like nothing!
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Glad to help. I'm trying to keep a 3 year stack of wood and we burn about 6 to 7 cord a season, so my wood pile has gotten pretty big. What I cut this last spring is for 14/15 season so I know it's plenty dry and seasoned.

I'll let you know when I'm ready to cut next spring, or remind me around March and we'll get together for wood cutting.

mit

#5 Post by mit »

john wrote:Glad to help. I'm trying to keep a 3 year stack of wood and we burn about 6 to 7 cord a season, so my wood pile has gotten pretty big. What I cut this last spring is for 14/15 season so I know it's plenty dry and seasoned.

I'll let you know when I'm ready to cut next spring, or remind me around March and we'll get together for wood cutting.

Will this wood cutting, also have snowmachineing involved? :big_grin:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Yes it will, at least until the snow melts :)