Moderator: john

Darrell

you knew this was going to happen!

#1 Post by Darrell »

:amused:

Electric ATV offers off- and on-road alternative
by Michael Armstrong / Homer News Fairbanks Daily News Miner
Apr 24, 2011

The Polaris LSV electric utility vehicle is seen in April 4, 2011 photo at Homer Saw & Cycle in Homer, Alaska. With its stocky tires, olive-green hood, roll bars, twin seats and small pickup bed, it appears similar to the gas-powered beach patrol rig used by Homer Police. New to Homer, the all-electric Polaris LSV/EV can go up to 50 miles on a charge of its eight-pack of 12-volt batteries. (AP Photo/Homer News, Michael Armstrong)
slideshow HOMER, Alaska - From the outside, the Polaris LSV/EV looks like any other off-road all-terrain vehicle.

With its stocky tires, olive-green hood, roll bars, twin seats and small pickup bed, it appears similar to the gas-powered beach patrol rig used by Homer Police.

Where the gas cap would be, though, a logo of a slash through a can suggests this puppy runs on a different kind of fuel. For the LSV/EV you don't fill it up. You plug it in.

New to Homer, the all-electric Polaris LSV/EV can go up to 50 miles on a charge of its eight-pack of 12-volt batteries. Running on a 30 hp, 48-volt electric engine, the LSV/EV has a top speed of 25 mph. Homer Saw & Cycle now has both models and has sold them to customers using them as a ranch utility vehicle and for small, remote villages like Seldovia, Port Graham and Nanwalek.

"I just think they're perfect village vehicles," said Claire Waxman, owner of Homer Saw & Cycle with her husband Bob Sch mutzler.

Polaris introduced the LSV/EV in 2010. Homer Saw & Cycle sells the 2011 model. It didn't take much convincing for Waxman and Schmutzler to pick up the electric version.

"I just love electric vehicles," Waxman said. "I love my Prius."

Polaris originally developed the LSV/EV for use on military bases. It uses lead-acid batteries. More efficient, but spendier, lithium-ion batteries could be used that would extend the range. Lead-acid batteries have the advantage that they are cheaper and easily recycled.

The LSV, for low-speed vehicle, comes with a windshield, turn signals, lights, horn, seatbelts and rear-view and side mirrors that make it street legal under federal regulations for low-speed vehicles.

In Alaska, the Polaris LSV can be registered and licensed as a low-speed vehicle, said Shelly Mellott, office manager for the Anchorage field offices of the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles. Plates say "LSV" as the first three letters of the li cense code. Low-speed vehicles can't be driven on highways posted over 35 mph and can't be modified to go faster than 25 mph.

For Homer, that means most of town from West Hill Road to past East Hill Road and at the end of the Homer Spit. A 45 mph zone at the base of the Spit would keep it from being street legal there, although if trailered to the 25 mph zone it could be used from the Nick Dudiak Fishing Lagoon and beyond.

The EV, for electric vehicle, version does not have turn signals and mirrors and is for ranch and off-road use only.

Electric Vehicle Rentals (at) Harbor's Edge in Seldovia will rent the Polaris LSV this coming tourist season, said owner Tom Keesecker.

Unlike gas ATVs, the Polaris LSV can't be driven in deep streams and in water higher than the floorboards. The batteries are stored under the seat.

Under city of Seldovia regulations, the Polaris LSV is permitted as an ATV. ATVs can be driven on Seldovia streets as long as the driver ha s at least a learner's permit and the ATV is registered as a snowmachine, said Seldovia Police Chief Andy Anderson.

Drivers under age 18 have to wear helmets. Lights have to be on at all times and a 15 mph speed limit obeyed. Anderson has been educating visitors to Seldovia about local ATV regulations and has put fliers up on the state ferries visiting the town on the south side of Kachemak Bay.

"If you're coming here, abide by our rules," Anderson said.

Keesecker bought two Polaris LSVs from Homer Saw & Cycle and has been testing them at his home in Homer. He said he will license them in Seldovia as ATVs. In a snowfall last month he tried out a Polaris LSV.

"I had it in the driveway with that new snow and it doesn't even care," Keesecker said. On ice in January "it didn't even spin a wheel."

The Polaris LSV has on-demand, all-wheel drive and disk brakes on all four wheels, and three driving modes: one-wheel drive, two-wheel drive and all-wheel driv e.

Keesecker said what he likes about the LSV is the silence.

"They're pretty cool to drive. You turn the key on. There's no sound, nothing," he said.

"The only thing you hear is the tires running on the road."

Comparing the cost of recharging batteries to the cost of fuel and calculating range versus miles per gallon is complicated.

Keesecker said he tried to research that through blogs on the web but couldn't find a definitive answer.

"With gas doing what it's doing, it has to be astronomically cheaper," Keesecker said.

"The savings to me is not having to listen to the engine run."

Gas was $5.40 a gallon in Seldovia earlier this month, Anderson said. Electric vehicles "might just be the ticket over here," he said.

The one limitation to the Polaris LSV/EV is its 50 mile range. Schmutzler said a small gasoline-powered generator could be put in the pickup bed to recharge the LSV/EV while running or at a remote camp.

The elec tric motor has regenerative braking, meaning that while going downhill or coasting the motor spins, recharging the batteries.

The LSV sells for $11,999 and the EV for $10,999.

Both qualify for a 10-percent federal tax credit that would pay for an optional roof package.

Copyright 2011 Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. All rights reserved.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Electric ATV offers off and on road alternative
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: you knew this was going to happen!

#2 Post by john »

Darrell wrote:Low-speed vehicles can't be driven on highways posted over 35 mph and can't be modified to go faster than 25 mph.
Oh, kool, I can drive the 1 mile from my house to the mail box with it and only have to charge it once every 3 weeks :<)

Summit800

#3 Post by Summit800 »

Bad Boy Buggies has been selling Electric side by sides for 3 or 4 years now, Nothing new here.

cleary

#4 Post by cleary »

On the subject of 4-wheelers we should start a campaign to make them legal to operate on the streets and highways up here. They're legal on the roads in the Yukon, Idaho, Montana and Maine that I know of. It's about time it happened here. Anyone have any thoughts????????

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/releases ... tatute.pdf

Chuck

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

After all of our "multi use trails" along the roadways were taken away from us motorized users, I cant see that gaining much traction with the general population.
But if someone were to get something started, Ill jump on the bandwagon! :4x4:

ObiJuanAk

#6 Post by ObiJuanAk »

<sarcasm>

But wait... these things have batteries in them, with LEAD, no less! Keep children away from them!

</sarcasm>

Seriously, if you take a regular one out in the boonies and you run out of fuel, no problem, you can ask one of your buddies (never ride alone, right?) for some spare fuel or a run back to the truck for the gas can. With an electric one, what do you do (other than tow it)? Carry a generator everywhere and wait 6 hours for it to recharge? I don't think electric ATVs are ready for prime time yet.