Suggestions for planning a long trip

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

hvhavel

Suggestions for planning a long trip

#1 Post by hvhavel »

So I have an idea of a trip... well several =) - but it is pretty long. Suggestions on how to plan a trip? (I believe I know what equipment / experience I need - but logistics wise I don't know what I don't know.)

Right now I have maps, I see some trails on it, been on parts of some of the trails. I have an idea of what equipment to take with us (planning for two people), but I'm a bit baffled on rules of camping out in the bush. I've had some very good experiences and some very bad experiences with villages. So on bush trails between villages, how does one figure out what is "public" land vs. where we aren't welcome to camp - and how far off of the trail? And personal safety? (vs. environmental / weather safety)

One trip I'd like to take (for example) is to Bettle's Lodge, but I haven't found a traversable route there yet - and I know parts of the tundra off of the haul road you aren't allowed to snowmachine on. Unfortunately, that (where is it legal/illegal to snowmachine) doesn't show up on the USGS map. Suggestions on how to research places that we can't snowmachine? Can I walk into the Bureau of Land Management with maps and expect them to show me where I can't go?

Have any of you done log hauls (greater than 2 days - preferably a week or more - with lots of camping) here in Alaska and willing to share their experience / lessons learned?

Thanks!

Heather

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Suggestions for planning a long trip

#2 Post by john »

Heather, sounds like your planning a couple overnighters on the trail.

Best recommendation I can give for camping spots is to plot out your route and then go to BLM or DNR and ask if they can help you ID the landowners or use the State's Mapper program (http://mapper.landrecords.info/). They only way to know what would be legal/acceptable for camping options is to know the landowners in questions and go from there.

Not knowing what you actually have for an equipment list it's hard to give any answer to this aspect. COS has done a lot of overnight's on the trail and I've done a few, but not in while.

I know these days one of my priority items would be a Arctic Oven tent :)

To the Bettels Lodge, I'd think the Noatak River would be the route to go, call the lodge and ask them about a trail in. I'd bet they have a winter land route at least out of Coldfoot and maybe one from the Yukon.

Let us know what you find, be curious to hear what the lodge folks said.

Darrell

#3 Post by Darrell »

I would looking into the trail north out of Tanana. I would give R J (think this is right) a call (was on the board for while) he has traveled this area. John may have his phone number. When the wife and i went there we drove the haul road, unloaded went in the winter road.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Darrell wrote:I would looking into the trail north out of Tanana. I would give R J (think this is right) a call
That's A.J. and I don't have his current # handy, but I'll see if I can locate him in town. He was running a cafe downtown last time I saw him.

hvhavel

#5 Post by hvhavel »

I know the trail to Tanana (villiage) pretty well - and I could do that out of Fairbanks (though the time I went was out of Nenana.) I'll give Bettles a call, though with this warm weather it is hard to plan a snow related trip =(.

Summit800

#6 Post by Summit800 »

The warm weather we have experienced is absolutely no indication of the coming winter, It is always too soon to try a river trip in October, November is a maybe at best, By December, it should be good. Can never predict snow cover though, just look at last year. But you should be fine in December. I believe NOAA gives out the river ice thickness? might check thier website.

hvhavel

#7 Post by hvhavel »

I'm thinking either the end of December or beginning of January.

I did find a route to Bettles from the Haul Road- called the Bettles winter trail - and am currently researching that. The trail is only 30 miles long, and the big thing right now is how to get on it (ie wouldn't want to park the SUV/trailer _on_ the Haul Road.)

I sent Bettles' Lodge an email, haven't heard back yet.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Curious, where (mile marker) on the Haul Road does it take off from ?

cleary

#9 Post by cleary »

john wrote:Curious, where (mile marker) on the Haul Road does it take off from ?
Mile 135.8 at Prospect Camp just a couple of miles south of Pump 5 according to The Milepost.

hvhavel

#10 Post by hvhavel »

What mapping software did you get that image from?

Thanks!

cleary

#11 Post by cleary »

hvhavel wrote:What mapping software did you get that image from?

Thanks!
I use Terrain Navigator Pro: http://maptech.mytopo.com/land/index.cf ... N=62207112

I also have National Geographics TOPO, but rarely use it: http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo.html

I have the Alaska version of each.

Chuck

Darrell

#12 Post by Darrell »

Yea I remember a short road off the haul road on the left (going north) to a large parking area with dozer unload ramp. If we get a lot snow (ha) it could be a trench but don't see that as much of a problem really if we just get snow!!!! The main lodge isn't open in the winter but smaller buiding with cafe and rooms in it used behind it. There is trail out of there to Allakaket and two north one to wild lake and a trail to Anaktutvuk pass. The time i was in there the park service and maybe BLM were burning trespass cabins so place's to stay along the trail was an issue. Out of allakaket there is trail to Tanana how much its used unknown.
Plus you want to call the lodge, some times they book up with winter tourist. If you want to know what's going on in town with the cafe rooms etc. call the park service there in town, Bettles they should be good for something beside keep messin with us all.
Oh and short trip to old Bettles is must. I have story of my wife and my trip there, i will try rememeber to bring it to the meeting if anyone would like to read it.

:needsnow:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.