BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Race

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Race

#1 Post by john »

I'm wondering what kind of impact statement they need, let the racers race....
The BLM's Eastern Interior Field Office is seeking public comments on a proposed human-powered race to be held in the White Mountains National Recreation Area in late March 2010. Up to 50 contestants would run, bike, or ski around a 100-mile-long loop route that includes parts of several White Mountains winter trails. (see map). The race organizers would also like to use 3 public-use cabins as safety checkpoints along the race course.

Because of the proposal's potential impacts to resources and on other public users of the White Mountains, the BLM is preparing an Environmental Assessment (EA) in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act.

The BLM has identified the following issues to be evaluated:

* This race could displace traditional cabin users. Though the race is not scheduled for any part of Spring Break week, general recreation use remains high during this time of year. Fewer cabins may be available for public use if the cabins are reserved for the SRP.
* The race would generate an increased level of use on the trails. The potential for user conflict along the trail system would increase. The race would also lead to possible congestion at the Wickersham Dome Trailhead due to the number of participants, especially during the start of the race.
* Health and safety concerns related to human waste could be an issue with the race. The facilities (outhouses) associated with the trail system were not designed to accommodate large groups. This could limit those facilities to the recreating public for the rest of the season.
* There are safety issues directly attributable to the race that need to be planned for and procedures in developed. Some of those concerns are:
-Traffic concerns at the trailhead and the Elliot Highway will be elevated with the addition of 50 participants and up to 15 support personnel to the regular recreation use that occurs.
-Evacuation procedures for sick or injured participants
-Search and rescue procedures for lost or overdue racers

Alternatives

The EA will consider impacts of the following alternatives:

Proposed Action Alternative (includes use of cabins):
The proposed action will be to conduct a three day 100 mile winter endurance race in the White Mountains NRA on March 20, 21 and 22, 2010. The race will begin and end at the Wickersham Dome Trailhead. The race route will utilize the Wickersham Cr, Trail Cr, Cache Mt. Loop, and the Fossil Cr. trails. (See map of race route.) The race will begin Saturday morning at 8:00 AM and will have three categories of competitors including skiers, runners, and bicyclist. The race will be limited to 50 participants and there will be approximately 15 volunteers assisting at checkpoints and along the race route. Up to 10 snowmobiles may be used to support checkpoints, monitor race events, provide safety, and conduct evacuations if necessary. One snowmobile will lead the race participants for the first 20 miles to alert any trail users of the approaching racers.

Trails: Directional signs will be established just prior to the race at all trail junctions and areas in question to assist race participants in staying on course. Signs will consist mainly of arrows stapled to lathe. Shortly after the last racer has passed a “trail sweep” will be conducted. These persons, on snowmobile, will both remove all signs and litter found along the trail and help to ensure all race participants are safe. One week in advance of the race, notices will be placed at all four trailheads leading into the White Mountains NRA informing the public of the race. The notices will include dates and times of the race and a map of the race route. During the race, all participants will be required to yield trail right-of-way to all other users or be disqualified.

Checkpoints (Cabins): Along with utilizing the developed and maintained winter trails in the White Mountains NRA, race officials propose to use up to three public use cabins as checkpoints. These cabins include: Cache Mt. (two nights), Windy Gap (two nights), and Borealis (two nights). A forth checkpoint would be established near the Moose Creek Cabin using a wall tent. The Wickersham Creek Trail Shelter would also be staffed by race volunteers but not serve as an official checkpoint. Each checkpoint will be staffed by two race officials and have a satellite phone to call in race results and provide for safety. Food and water will be available at each of the checkpoints for participants. A portable waste collections type bucket will be provided at each checkpoint to be used by participants and race officials to minimize the potential over utilization of the outhouses. At the end of the race all checkpoints will be left clean and at pre-race conditions if not better. At the cabins, all stoves and lanterns will be left in working order and an ample amount of firewood left remaining. While on the trails participants will be required to defecate well off the trail or be disqualified.

Start/Finish (Wickersham Dome Trailhead): The Wickersham Dome Trailhead will serve as the race start and finish. Carpooling or shuttle services will be provided to transport most race participants to this site. Some parking is expected across the Elliott Highway at the Alaska State DOT pull-out. The applicant will provide highway caution signs and a crossing guard near the trailhead and Elliott Highway to provide for safety during the start of the race. Race officials plan to have a RV parked at the trailhead to support check-in and coordinate the event through satellite and cell phone coverage. At least one portable outhouse will be staged at the trailhead for the duration of the race event.

No Cabin Alternative:
This alternative is the same as the proposed action except that there would be no use of public use cabins except in the case of an emergency. In this alternative four temporary checkpoints would be established near the locations identified in the proposed action and either arctic oven or wall tents utilized. Checkpoint sites would be located at least ¼ mile away and out of site of any BLM public use cabin and a minimum of 25 feet away from the trail.

No Action Alternative:
The no action alternative would result in the applicant not being issued a permit to conduct a competitive race event in the White Mountains NRA.

How to Provide Comments

Comments will be accepted in writing or by e-mail through January 07, 2010. To be helpful in our planning process, comments should be as specific and detailed as possible.

Please send e-mail comments to AK_EIFO_GeneralDelivery@blm.gov. Written comments should be sent to:

BLM Eastern Interior Field Office
1150 University Avenue
Fairbanks, AK 99709
Attn: Collin Cogley

akskier

Re: BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Race

#2 Post by akskier »

Hello Snow Travelers. My name is Ed and I am one of the organizers for the proposed http://whitemountains100.org/ race that is tentatively scheduled for March 20-22, 2010. We have been working closely with BLM on permitting issues for this human powered (ski, bike, run) race through the White Mountains National Rec Area. We are striving to have the lowest impact on other users and the Rec area as a whole. We have made a handful of adjustments to our race operations plan in order to be sensitive to other users and will continue to do so as feedback comes in during the BLM public comment period.

Although this is a non-motorized race, we are certainly not trying to exclude motorized users. If BLM approves our permit, we are going to require the use of a handful of snowmachines to setup checkpoints, sweep the course, have several available at the trail head to provide first aid/evacuations (if necessary), and have a pilot snowmachine for the first 20-miles of the course to warn racers of opposing traffic (other skiers, snowmachines, dog teams, etc). We don't envision having snowmachines buzzing back-and-forth along the trails, but we will need them for basic logistics and support.

We were wondering if the Fairbanks Snow Travelers would be interested in sponsoring one of the race checkpoints and/or helping with some of the other activities involved with putting on such a race? The checkpoint would require 2 volunteers to provide racers with water and food, calling in race results via satellite phone to race HQ every few hours, keeping the shelter warm, re-stocking firewood, etc. This is a 24 hr operation and it would be possible for volunteers to swap out during the middle of the race. The race would cover the cost of gas and cabin rentals for all volunteers.

If anyone out there is interested or has just comments in general, we can be reached at: whitemountains100@gmail.com

Thanks,

Ed and Ann

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

AKskier

I would, but, it really depends on what weekend.

FST has 3 overnight weekend trips and our annual Snowmobile Rondy in March.

Have you set a date yet ?

Need letters of support ?

akskier

#4 Post by akskier »

Hi John - If BLM approves the permit, the race is scheduled to start at 8am Saturday March 20th at the Wick Dome Trailhead. We have established cutoff times for each of the four checkpoints in order to keep racers moving at a reasonable speed. All racers must complete the 100-mile loop by 8pm Monday March 22nd. Our first checkpoint would be a wall tent at the Haystack Mtn junction (race mile 17) but we only intend to man this through 4pm Saturday, and then dismantle it and move it to the Wick Cr Trail shelter. Our other proposed checkpoints are Cache Mtn cabin (race mile 39), Windy Gap cabin (race mile 60), and Borealis Cabin (race mile 80). We also plan to have the Wick Trail shelter heated and have a wall tent there for the later part of the race (but this is open to all rec area users). Racers have to be through Cache Mtn by 9am Sunday, Windy Gap 2am Monday, and Borealis at Noon Monday. So we were wondering if the Snow Travelers would be interested in manning a checkpoint for one or two days, depending on which one.

I know there are plenty of letters of support from racers and our current list of volunteers. As the director, it would be in my best interest to encourage positive comments - BUT I am also a regular user of the area and I can completely understand from that viewpoint that some people may have issues/concerns. We encourage anyone to comment and share their opinion about this race idea with BLM, whether they are for it or against it. We are really trying to be sensitive to all users groups, but at the same time provide a community event to be enjoyed by a lot of people.

Thanks,

Ed.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

The 20th, should be decent weather. Personally I'll be leading the Cantwell trip that weekend, sorry I won't be here to help.

So well put :P
BUT I am also a regular user of the area and I can completely understand from that viewpoint that some people may have issues/concerns.
I have to admit that the White Mnt Trails are one of the only ones I have never had a bad experience with other trail users. Rode out there 2 Sat's ago with Summit800 and RevitUp, passed skiers, Musher's and even some guy on a Mtn Bike, everyone of friendly and courtesy, let us pass with no attitudes towards us and we returned the feeling. I think the race is a good idea and something I hope BLM approves as it may open opportunities of all trail users in the future.

I'll be sending in a letter of support via email and can set up an automated submission form for our members to use. I'll have it up tomorrow and hope everyone sends in supportive comment.

My reasons: The BLM does more than any other single entity to insure that all trail users get a fair shake and that the trails are "fairly" well maintained and usable. When the snow is down its one of the best areas (locally that is) to ride and get in the back country on my sled.

COS

#6 Post by COS »

This is both positive for winter sports & a selfish idea.
March is a prime time for snowmachiners to be in the Whites riding. The days are long the sun is warm. Folks wait all year for the family pilgrimage to a treasure so close to home. The competition for a cabin is great. One may stay up late at night to file for that cabin. Some folks register & maintain “snowmobiles” only for that spring ride that gives a great release from the winter blues, that get away that creates memories & brings family together. Just read the pass-ons at White Mountain cabins.
March is a splendid time to select the White Mountain trail system. The pro-mushers are off the trail having participated in the Yukon Quest & Iditarod. But the rec-mushers are also there enjoying the groomed multiuse highways.

The use of a national “trail system” for this race should not be used!

It is too convenient to use a well packed/groomed trial system that my taxes paid for. Only to have them shut it down later in life for a Non-motorized event that was paid for originally with my annual registration fees? (What plans were promised this year may not apply tomorrow)
I see problems of “oh it’s ok to” allow non-participant snowmaciners on the trail this year”. But not the next! Let’s honor the multiuse trail principle this year but what about next year? Remember “joint use”?
Question: What if 20 teams did this race without any notice? Would it be such a big deal? “Arcticman 1985”
Ed, I applaud your enthusiasm, But It Is A struggle every day to keep trails open. You’re welcoming of us to serve and support is noted. May I suggest the Yukon Quest trail between CHSPR and Central? The racers would have to cross the formidable Rosebud & Eagle Summit. An area I know dearly and deservers more support to keep that open.
Sincerely,
Eric Cosmutto
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

akskier

#7 Post by akskier »

Hi Eric - Thanks for voicing your concerns about the race. We are definitely interested in hearing from all types of users of the Whites Rec area and are trying to refine our race idea in order to address the apprehensions of the users. We have already made a handful of modifications and adjustments to our original race proposal and are willing to continue to do so, but at the same time trying to maintain our overall race objective.

One option we are seriously considering is moving the race to a mid-week time frame in order to alleviate the impact on weekend users. We have already made sure our race dates do not correspond to either weekend straddling "spring break" because we know that is a very high use 10-day period. The unprecedented volume of interest in race (the roster filled up in less than 2 weeks) implies to us that a mid-week event would still draw enough racers to cover the race costs.

As for your concerns about future races closing off the trail system to users (motorized or non-motorized), we would not let this occur. We are striving to have as smallest footprint on the Rec area and would certainly discontinue the race if it approached the point of seriously limiting or closing off trail use to other users. You idea of using the Quest trail between CHSR and Central would definitely be an exciting and challenging course. At this point though, the logistics of getting people to/from either end of that route, setting up checkpoints, communications, etc would be well beyond the energy or resources we have available. Our ideal course is one that starts/ends in the same location...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

mit

#8 Post by mit »

Here is what I sent BLM.

The Recreation Area is not contusive too, nor should it be used for ANY Competitive races (Snowmachine, Dog-sled, Skiing, Running, or Stock-car). If you let one group race with 10 or 30 you MUST then be prepared to allow any other entity that same opportunity. That being said if 5 or 10 skiers just went out on the trail on their own to see who could get around the loop the fastest more power to them. But if 30 or 50 folks started going on their own taking up all the cabins causing congestion on the trail then it would be too much.

I would suggest that they race in a less used area for instance the Yukon Quest trail from Chena Hot spring to Central or Circle.
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

mit

#9 Post by mit »

akskier wrote:Hi Eric - Thanks for voicing your concerns about the race. We are definitely interested in hearing from all types of users of the Whites Rec area and are trying to refine our race idea in order to address the apprehensions of the users. We have already made a handful of modifications and adjustments to our original race proposal and are willing to continue to do so, but at the same time trying to maintain our overall race objective.

One option we are seriously considering is moving the race to a mid-week time frame in order to alleviate the impact on weekend users. We have already made sure our race dates do not correspond to either weekend straddling "spring break" because we know that is a very high use 10-day period. The unprecedented volume of interest in race (the roster filled up in less than 2 weeks) implies to us that a mid-week event would still draw enough racers to cover the race costs.

As for your concerns about future races closing off the trail system to users (motorized or non-motorized), we would not let this occur. We are striving to have as smallest footprint on the Rec area and would certainly discontinue the race if it approached the point of seriously limiting or closing off trail use to other users. You idea of using the Quest trail between CHSR and Central would definitely be an exciting and challenging course. At this point though, the logistics of getting people to/from either end of that route, setting up checkpoints, communications, etc would be well beyond the energy or resources we have available. Our ideal course is one that starts/ends in the same location...any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed
How about Fairbanks to Nenana and back?
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

Alaskan Polar Bear

#10 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

As the owner of the now closed Alaska Snowmachine Adventures bizz,
I find it interesting and appauling that a "group" of racers can used the Public White Mountain trail system for a private race
in a public rec use area and not have to put up the ONE MILLION DOLLAR insurance policy like I was asked too,
and don't even try to convince me of the diffrences, if there's a fee (cost) to someone and prizes (profit) then wouldn't it
be subject to the same "hold harmless" requirements I was asked to abide by.
Who would bear the responcability for the loss if one of these "human powered racers" injures a non racer, lawfully using the White Mountain rec area?
That's how it was put to me.
Tony Martin
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

akskier

#11 Post by akskier »

We just want to thank everyone for their comments regarding the potential race. We (the organizers) are frequent users of the Whites Rec area and are very sensitive to the user viewpoint of such an event, so the feedback is helpful with refining our race idea. Our vision is to provide a new community sporting event that supports outdoor recreation. It is definitely not our intention to exclude any particular user group, so we are committed to having motorized (and dog supported) users be involved in the event as well for race support, including manning checkpts, sweeping the trail, etc.

Just to clarify, this is not a private race and the event is completely open to the public. A large percent of the interested participants (racers and volunteers) are regular users of the Whites Rec area. We are required to pay a healthy permitting fee to BLM as well as have insurance with a minimum $2 Million coverage (liability, personal injury) to cover racers, volunteers, non-participants, BLM property, etc. These high costs along with the logistical price tag are what limit the number of "wilderness" races in AK. There are no prizes and we would intend to setup a non-profit organization to be able to accept sponsorships from local businesses in order to cut down on costs and make the race entry affordable.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any specific questions/concerns at: whitemountains100@gmail.com The BLM can also answer any questions as well.

Thanks again...

COS

#12 Post by COS »

"We just want to thank everyone for their comments regarding the potential race"

Potentail Race? I understand they already have 3 cabins in reserve. And O.B.W. BLM rules for cabin reservations is no more than 30 days in advance.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

Alaskan Polar Bear

#13 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

well Coz as we can clearly see , the rules for all don't apply to some.
I can see this as the first step in outlawing / banning motorized vehicals in the rec area "when there is a race on"
and then the ban will just stay in place, then we will be the outlaws.
of course if under there rules that "its open to the public" then the use of the cabins would be open to the public as well, and we can use them during this time as well. ?
wanna bet that just before the race starts BLM grooms the trail to perfection like never before?
I wonder how many work for BLM or some enviromental group that is cozy with BLM workers?
Tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

A site you may find of interest, the BLM Resource Management Plan area that includes the White Mountain area.

Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan

David

#15 Post by David »

I agree with most everyone about the double standars and I for one posted several comments to the site that was furnished and of course I received no reply back and when I read there latest comments it is as if know one had a complaint about them reserving cabins 3 months in
advance when we can only reserve them 30 days out, also blocking traffic durning prime time snowmachining and also blocking off 100 miles of public use area, I say thet everyone that reads this should post there opinion and let BLM know. I do appreciate BLM grooming trails and clearing trails and roads but if it is public use, that is what I expect, no special priveledges to a select few.
Dave and Terri :wall:
YAMAHA RIDERS(4stroke)