BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Race

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

mit

Re: BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Race

#16 Post by mit »

john wrote:A site you may find of interest, the BLM Resource Management Plan area that includes the White Mountain area.

Eastern Interior Resource Management Plan

Is there anything particular? I looked through it Looks like we should be hearing something in June.
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by john »

I found it interesting that they are still in the Planning Process and looking at
Formulate alternatives

Formulate alternatives, November 2008 – August 2009
And that the schedule shows
Draft Resource Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement

Write Draft RMP/EIS, 2009

Publish Notice of Availability for Draft RMP/EIS in Federal Register, TBD

Public review of Draft RMP/EIS, early 2010

Analyze and prepare response to pubic comments, 2010
So it appears that the draft would be the time to review the RMP, as the comment date has past, and submit protest if any exist.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/planni ... print.html

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/planni ... tions.html

Gobeil

#18 Post by Gobeil »

To whom it concerns,

I just hate when public areas are closed off for races and other special events. It happened all the time in Mineapolis and other places I lived and why I no longer live there. It has so much more impact than race organizers plan for, which often ruin it for so many others. *beep* I just spent the last four days, and three nights at the Cache Mountain cabin and loved it. Nate, Robert and I just were in Iraq and getting ready to go again some time in the next year, so I would really be upset to lose the use of the cabin for the rest of the year due to the impact of a race for 50 individuals. They don't close summit lake for Artic Man every year. I like the idea and I give kidos to the organizers for reaching out to out club, but there must be a better location that doesn't ruin it for the rest of us.

Joseph Gobeil
Fairbanks, AK

john
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by john »

FYI for everyone. The Race is a go, BLM info and justification:

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/fo/fdo/east ... es100.html

COS

#20 Post by COS »

Someone has an idea!

Let’s organize a Sno-go race next year (2011) during this same timeframe. We should put in for the cabin rentals (plural) 6 months prior to beat out the bike, foot, ski racers. Remember they got 3 months so they may organize.

Oh………. and check out the Sue-100 race this weekend……………….They actually run through park free wilderness. I know that’s hard to come by in Alaska.

Thank You BLM for changing the standards. I look forward to our Sno-go race next year while sharing the trails with others.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

COS

#21 Post by COS »

Posted on the Alaska Outdoor web site.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/sho ... hp?t=73287

I know we all don't agree on this but lets see where it goes. I can see the vise tightening.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

Alaskan Polar Bear

Re: BLM Seeks Public Comments on Proposed White Mountains Ra

#22 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

hey all....I took the day off and went up to the white mountains for a ride monday.. the race was going on , with the race starting sunday at 8 am by sunday 10 am over half the field had already finished,, with 2 bikers having won in 12 hours and a runner finishing in 15 hours,,,,Holy C*ap! 2 of us entered the whites at 28 mile...the parking lot had a few viehicals in it ... with the racers having a small area with 2 tents and a 5th wheel outa the way,,, the parking across the road had 20 or so in it,,,,
as most of you know I never travel at low speeds but I blew all 4 shocks on my XLT so the trip was done at less than 30 mph
My god thats slow! but I did get to interact with a few of the racers.. and made all three cabins they rented ... for the most part all the racers we chatted with, were the last of the racers and we did talk with the last place lady #45 (I hope she;s single!) they took the time to chat with us and were quite friendly,. at the check points the observers were also friendly ,,, However one of the trail sweeps at windy gap did go outa his way to tell us they had rented the cabins for them to use. At the caribou cabin they had cleaned up and left everything in order but had no toliet paper in the outhouse or cabin. as part of the agreement / rules the racers were to yield to other trail users and about half did and others didn't ,, about what i expected but not a big deal as we usally yield to others and I dont expect that to change
as a whole, next year I would protest the race for the renting of the 3 cabin months in advance, but i dont think for anything more.
the overflow has started . and the trail is hard and fast ,,, the snow we got last week dumped there as well and next trip will be fun@
my 2 cents
Tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

COS

Re:White Mnt trails just became rutted.

#23 Post by COS »

Tony,
Nice report as always!
You said you would only dispute the cabin rental next year, why? Do you mean how the BLM stepped on their dickey’s by making the race special priority over all others?
Or how they have came around to common sense thinking about public lands and how it could actually be enjoyed by all citizens equally, snowmachiners, hikers and the like? I look forward to tearing up the trails on next year’s race in the 800 cc class!!!!
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ