Loading Ramp

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Loading Ramp

#1 Post by john »

Since were on the subject of loading ramps, I have the ramp that was at 10 Mile Merchantile that we picked up when they closed down.

So who has ideas for a good place to use it at ??

ObiJuanAk

Re: Loading Ramp

#2 Post by ObiJuanAk »

I guess we can ask for suggestions at the General Membership Meeting, but I though we talked about setting it up at the Valley Center (?) over where tacks used to be? Maybe not. :?:

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

Hey John, Juan,

How about the parking lot down below our place? That's the trail head for most of the trails up here on Cleary Summit. The 3/4 of a mile of the Fairbanks Creek Road from the Steese to the parking lot and the parking lot are DOT maintained all winter.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

I never was thrilled about the valley center idea. Since Tack's burned down the lot is basically empty and I'm not to sure it would be there for long :problem:

I could see where it would help at the Fairbanks Creek Road parking area. We use that a fair amount and I've seen lots of folks having to use snowbanks to unload, so that would get my vote, but as Juan says, lets ask at the membership meeting and put it to a vote.

Darn, this means I have to finish fixing the thing :) 2 sheets of plywood and some preservative. Guess I know what I'm doing Saturday afternoon after we fix the one at Chatanika.

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

I could give you a hand with the ramp. Oh, thats right, I will be up river! Dang the bad luck.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Loading Ramps

#6 Post by john »

Well ya missed the fun..

The ramp at Chatanika Lodge is fixed and we stained the whole deck (drive on section as well). :thumbleft:

The ramp I have here is fixed and the new plywood is treated. Need some more wood stain/preservative to finish up the old decking, I'll get it tomorrow and have it ready to go before the general meeting when we finalize where to place it.

Ramps in general need some TLC. I suggest we set it on the "to do" list for early next summer. If we can get a vote at the meeting, I'll make a motion that FST spend the funds to buy 6 gallons of brown paint, a "minimum" of 2 sheets plywood to start, screws (say 10 lbs), and we that we perform a major maintenance to all the ramps. This would include painting them again, replacing decking as needed, redo the FST signs, and get them up to snuff for use.

I'll also move that we build a 4th one to replace the one stolen from Pikes and place it at Chena Pump Landing for access to the Tanana and the Flats. Will have to talk to the borough and get the OK to place it there. The building will take some $$ unless we can get the material donated ? Any ideas...

Needs would include 4 sheets treated 3/4 plywood, 10 lbs decking screws and washes, 30 to 35 feet treated 4x4, 12 to 24 - 8 foot treated 2x4, 3 - 20 foot treated 2X8's for the skids, and 2 to 3 gallons of paint or preservative.

The current ones have been in place for 10 years or so, so our return for investment is pretty good if you ask me. I'd estimate about $60.00 per ramp per year so far.

irshpryd40

#7 Post by irshpryd40 »

What about some where out towards the North Pole area near Chena Lakes Rec area? They have plenty of parking out here before you go in but no ramps.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Good location, but I wonder if we could talk the COE into setting one up. Their a great bunch of guys out there and are always willing to help.

Let me talk to them and see what I can come up with.

As you know, last night we all leaned toward getting one near the Ice Bridge at the end of Cushman, an area that gets a lot of use, but also has some concerns do to the "problems" that area is know for.