Track education, please.

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

SHoppe715

Track education, please.

#1 Post by SHoppe715 »

Hello,

I'm trying to get educated on snow mobile tracks for a project I'm kicking around in my head. I'm thinking up ways of making my own Mattracks type wheel tracks for a Jeep (at a fraction of their cost) so I can go more places in the winter without tearing up trails with tires and otherwise getting buried. I've seen some pretty nice homegrown tracks and it looks well within my abilities to do the same. I'd be looking for the least agressive tread possible and preferably no studs.

Some questions I have:
- What's the most common / readily available track out there that I may be able to find slightly used or not break the bank to get new (X4 identical or 2 pairs)? Searching Ebay, it looks like a 121"X15" track with .5"-1" lugs is pretty common. Don't know about pitch.
- Are tracks pretty brand specific or will a basic 121"x15" track work on a variety of sleds (making it easier to source them)?
- Are stock tracks something that's commonly upgraded so if I went to a local dealer they might cut me a decent deal?
- What might a guy expect to pay for a track new or used in decent condition?
- Are there sources around here for salvaged parts off wrecked sleds or should I steer clear of that route?

Thanks for any help.

Steve.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Track education, please.

#2 Post by john »

I'm curious as to the vehicle weight and how your planning to add the tracks. From your post below it looks like your looking at one for each tire, which makes sense -v- one on each side.

Tracks not neccessarily brand specific, assuming by brand you mean sled manufacture. But this should be irrelavent for your needs.

121 x 15 are common short tracks, but not as common as they use to be. You'd probable have better luck with a 136 and maybe even look for a 136 x 16 (Skidoo).

Cost used should be $100.00 to $300.00 depending on who you get it from :)

New figure $600.00 and up.

Try the local salvage yards, but good luck, I'd say you'd have better luck looking on Craigslist, in the paper, or asking here who has a track for sale (under Swap Meet). You'll probable be looking at 4 individual purchases unless someone has a stock pile I'm not aware of.

SHoppe715

#3 Post by SHoppe715 »

Thanks for the input, John.

This is the general idea.

http://www.americantracktruck.com/
These guys use actual snow mobile tracks and I'm thinking I can reverse engineer my own set. If I can score even 2 matching pairs of tracks I could make it work by putting the longer or more agressive pair on the back.

http://www.mattracks.com/
Mattracks has their own tracks specially made and they're extremely pricey. No one who has to work for a living would drop the cash on these just to play in the woods.

Would it be a good idea to try the dealerships or should I not even bother?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Try the dealers and see if they have any used tracks, they may or may not.

I like your idea and think it'd be great if you could home make a set. I've seen these run and they do pretty good.

Just ask for some 121x15 with stock lugs. You might get lucky and find some used one You don't need to ask for "matching" sets, they should be the same as long as you get the same lug size.

Not sure how you plan to run these on the track guide, but you might want to make sure any pairs you use have the same # of guide clips. Clips that aren't "guide clips" (the ones that don't have an upright tab on the backside) can be taken off to cut your weight.