Snow Rondy and .........

Talk about anything at all

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Snow Rondy and .........

#1 Post by john »

This year's Snowmobile Rondy was another great success. Lots of folks showed up and enjoyed the early spring weather. We had snowmobile drag races, snowmobile tug-a-war, avalanche becon search contest, kids rodeo and just a great day around.

Since I had little to no duties in getting the event and activities going, I decided to ride my sled down there, why not, the temps were above zero, the snow was fairly fluffy and deep in the open areas and it was just to tempting to resist. I did help with the set up and get to act as race marshall in getting the drag races going and also took a turn with the childs rodeo. Of course Tyler, my 6 year old grandson has become a sled head, and if he had his way he would of spent the entire time riding one of the mini 120's we had on hand for the kids rodeo. So as I said, an all in all great day and lots of fun.

On the way there I took what is known as the Pipeline trail, not a bad ride, but to darn straight and boring. So on the return trip home I decided to take the river. A nice easy trip, some curves and bends, a few spots to becareful of, but a lot more enjoyable than a straight run down the Pipeline.

Now I hadn't ridden this way for some time, so good ol' me, keeping to my tradition, took a wrong turn and ended up back at Chena Lakes, well shoot. So I just figured I'd have a longer trip back than I expected, no biggie, a great day for riding. As I'm going down the trail, trying to get myself oriented as to just where I was <bg>, I come across momma moose and her yearly calf being chased by 2 dogs.

Dogs chasing a moose is not a good thing. First off, momma or her calf could break a leg, get run so hard that they could lose valuable body fat needed to survive the rest of the winter and so on. So I deceide to help her out and chased off the dogs. As they (the dogs) start to go the other direction, momma moose stops and lets her calf catch up, she just stands here and watches me, not more than 20 feet away, not scared of me and my sled, but thankful I think, that I chased the dogs off.

So thinking I did my good deed for the day, I started off down the trail again, back to my thoughts of trying to find my way back to a trail I knew. Well about 200 to 300 yards down the trail here comes the owner of the 2 dogs, a skier. Now as a rule, I have nothing against skiers, they have their preferred means of enjoying the outdoors and I have mine. However, when I pulled up to this idiot, his 2 dogs take off again, back down the trail to chase the moose. Does he do anything, nope just stands there in total ignorance and let's his dogs run momma moose and calf. He doesn't have a leash for them and he doesn't even bother to try and call them off. So I stopped and told him what his dogs were chasing, does he care, nope, his comment " they won't hurt her". Idiot, I did inform him that it is against the law to knowingly allow your dogs to chase moose. He still didn't seem to get it. Maybe I should of gone with my first reaction and shot his dogs, maybe then he'd get it......

JDL

#2 Post by JDL »

It's not the dogs fault... It's the owner's... Shoulda got the guy's name and reported him.
04 Switchback 600
05 Trail RMK
03 ProX 600

90% of all Arctic Cats are still out on the mountains/trails today.

The other 10% actaully made it back home!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Yeah, I know and your right. Doubt he would of given me his name.

I'm dog lover too, but some people........................