Nome Creek

This is the place to post events and activities that are not FST specific. So if you or your organization are aware of, or having an event that is snow related, please post it here for all to see. Non registered visitors may post to this forum.

Moderator: john

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

Nome Creek

#1 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

I hope this ride is still a go...sorry to see the picnic cancelled due to cool weather;I can remember a few cool eos cook outs so why this was cancelled I dont know who is riding on the nome creek rides any info yet?

cleary

Re: Nome Creek

#2 Post by cleary »

Margaret and I drove to mile 57 Steese and up the US Creek Road to the top of the hill. That was as far as it had been plowed. There was a single lane starting down the other side toward Nome Creek but didn't look like it went very far. I suspect it is plowed all the way to Nome Creek by now. I understand the the parts of the US Creek Road that were down to the typar (SP) are going to be resurfaced this summer. I hope they put something in the surface that will hold it together. It really gets washboardy in the summer. Pretty steep for a gravel road.

The BLM finished repairing the road from the bridge to the Ophir Creek Campground last fall. It looks like they did it right this time and hopefully it will survive breakup. It was in great shape late last fall.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Were still going to Nome Creek on the 24th or 25th, plan to stay 2 to 3 nights.

I heard that it was still covered in snow from the view point, about 3 miles in on U.S. Creek Road, a week ago, but 4 wheelers were making a single lane to the bridge, figure it should be open enough by the 24th. If not, could always camp on top and ride the ATV's down :)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Finally, I think summer is here.

Forecast for this coming weekend
Friday Night Through Saturday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 40. Highs in the mid 60s to mid 70s.

Sunday: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s.

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

Margaret and I drove into Nome Creek yesterday. The road is plowed to the bridge. The whole valley above and below the bridge is glaciered level with the top of the bridge. There is a small channel of running water across south end of the bridge. It looks like there has been a lot of ATV traffic crossing the bridge and beyond. There is small turn around where the Jeep Trail starts. The two pullouts on top of the US Creek road are cleared and you could park RVs up there.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Update:

Nome Creek is out. Peter took a trip up there and it's either lots of ice or real dry dirt on the road and I'm not to thrilled about parking on the road and eating dust all weekend.

So were looking at alternative locations.

How many are thinking of going out for the weekend ? Number of anticipated camps (campers) could dictate where we can go to as far as camping space availability.

2manydogs

#7 Post by 2manydogs »

Too bad about Nome Creek, by the looks of Chucks pics it does still look like winter up there. I'll keep an eye on the site to see how this evolves, ready to ride!
Dave

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Open for suggestions. Peter is checking Standard Creek area, biggest problem is finding a location with room for say 6 RV's or so and not in the valleys. Figured with the pack and temps the lower valleys may flood, at least along the river/creek bottoms, and after our mad scramble to break up camp last year were hoping to avoid that :)

Will post finding and update as soon as we know.

larry morris

#9 Post by larry morris »

With Stoney, we can't have too deep of water to cross.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

:rolf:

Standard Creek is out, Peter got his pick up stuck trying to see if the RV's could park in the pull out :(

Chuck J is checking out the pull out area at Fairbanks Creek Rd and the Historical Trail head, so we'd be high enough in elevation to give Stoney a break. Of course we can always ride down to Fish Creek and have him find the open leads for us.

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#11 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

well Im going wherever its decided just keep me in the loop I cant leave untuil Sat morning but will be ready to head out early....if all else fails I might head to Delta and go in at 1408.

jpalmer

#12 Post by jpalmer »

Do you guys have a good trail you follow at standard creek? I've never rode there before and was thinking about checking out this weekend. I assume you just follow old logging roads and maybe work up to the ridge lines.

Anyone ever connect up to Minto lakes from there?

dragonman

#13 Post by dragonman »

:4x4: At mile 27 you can go to the left on a trail through woods about 300 yards and catch the winter trail to the flats or murphy dome
@ 10 mile fork in Road The right will take you to Cash creek road that connects with Murphy dome road where the pavement ends once you get through the woods and are on dirt road its 16 miles to Murphy Dome Rd
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

Standard Creek is out :sad:

it looks like Delta, maybe, being checked now.

I'll have a definite location sometime tonight, so keep checking. With this late breakup all the local spots are either still under snow and ice or to muddy for camping. So far we've checked out Nome Creek, Standard Creek, Cleary Summit, and 28 Mile Elliott. The Chena Hot Springs Road area works if all you want to do is camp, but DNR has closed the trails to motorized vehicle until the trails harden up.

Looks like Mine Road area. Good news is that fishing should be good on Coal Mine #5 Lake for Trout if you can get to the open water, if any.

cleary

#15 Post by cleary »

Here's our wanderings in the Coal Mine Road area in 07. We drove our campers and motor homes in a couple of miles but it is a pretty rough road. I'd suggest you park at the pull off by the highway and re-con it with a wheeler first. Its a great area with lots of trails.

Chuck