SnoRondy 2008

This is the place to post events and activities that are not FST specific. So if you or your organization are aware of, or having an event that is snow related, please post it here for all to see. Non registered visitors may post to this forum.

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

SnoRondy 2008

#1 Post by john »

Greetings everyone,

Here is a synopsis of our 2008 Rondy at the Chena Lakes project. As most of you know we do the Rondy every year with the cooperation and sponsorship of the Corp of Engineers. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS AND SPONSORS!!!!!!

Events:

Drag Race

We will be adding a 4th class this year. The "Elan" class will be open to all Ski-Doo Elans regardless of age, engine, model, etc.. There is a quarter of a century of Elans out there still running around. I cannot even begin to guess how many thousands of young folks trained on Elans or trappers that bounced through, around and over trees on them.

We are always needing volunteers to help with the drag race. If your interested contact John Johnston at bearqst@ak.net. There will be a trophy for the champion of each class.

Tired Iron Preview

This is a cool thing. We are trying to get as many of the old iron machines to come out and display their mechanical elegance. Last year we had roughly 10 great entrants. We would like to see 30 or more this year.

We need a sponsor for this event that will take on the task of working with Mr Craig Compeau to contact the folks that are competing in the Tired Iron Race and/or just building or storing old machines. Running or not. The Sponsor would contact as many of the folks as possible with a formal invitation to join us, either verbally or written invitation. We will be giving out 3 trophy's for that event. The parameter for judging are still being nailed down but will be something like: running, overall condition, uniqueness of the machine, restored or original, etc.. The Sponsor will be asked to assist with the judging parameters.

120 Kids Rodeo

We are not sure if we will have 2, 3 or 4 machines for this year. Either way I will be working with them and would appreciate 2 or 3 more folks to assist. Its always fun to work with the kids and they absolutely love it. Some of these kids will never get to ride a machine anywhere else in their lifetime. Others start a lifetime of riding. I have often considered a form of this with a little bigger machines however finding machines would be a challenge and finding a "midsize model" is getting tougher. A couple SOLID Elans could be an answer here. So if your interested in working with the kids let me know at da@gvea.com.

Bonfire

We do the bonfire every year. Every year we have a drive to round up pallets. We could use a sponsor for this event to round up pallets and folks with trucks and trailer to pick them up and deliver them to the Corp facilities at Chena Lakes. If you would like to Sponsor this event contact Dean at da@gvea, John at bearqst@ak.net, or Cyristal at crystalg@gci.net.

Food

We will do the hot dog and chip type of thing again this year. Crystal is taking this on again this year. She usually ropes John Mygisi into helping her. Of course Juan (her hubby) gets suckered into it as well. So we should be well covered there.

Northern Light Club

We are anticipating that the fine folks at Eielson will once again do their safety/avalanche demonstrations again. John Johnston is going to contact them to get them thinking about it. Their efforts are always well accepted amoung the visitors.

Vendor participation

Mr Tim Feavel of the Corp of Engineers is taking on this task. He will contact vendors and invite them to join us. If you know of a vendor that might like to join us let me know and I will forward their contact info on to Tim.

Obstacle Course

This is something new we are looking at. We think it could be a real hit. We envision a driver on a machine with a rider that has to perform 3 or 4 tasks in an enclosed course. The event would be timed but have a max speed. Examples of tasks would be to grab a hot dog off a string using only your mouth, dropping the hot dog into a toilet using only your mouth as you drive by, etc.. We NEED a sponsor for this event. We believe that Jody and Steve Nolan would be ideal to take the reins on this one so PLEASE if you know Jody and Steve impress upon them the "responsibility":) the have to the club and sport to take this one on. I'm hopeful they will be able rise to the occasion.

If your interested in helping or taking a lead position contact:
Crystal Goulda at crystalg@gci.net
Dean Allen at da@gvea.com
John Johnston at bearqst@ak.net
Last edited by john on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

REVITUP

#3 Post by REVITUP »

Great job!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

It'll be a good rondy year. I'm looking forward to the Obstacle Course, from what I've heard so far it'll be e hoot.

Yeti

#5 Post by Yeti »

What classes do you guys run for the drag race? How long of a drag is it?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Drag is 1/4 mile

Classes, now I have to think :)

340 - 499
500 - 699
700 - 899
900 and over
Elan :rofl:

We have a light bar for the start. Clocking is our biggest problem. Need volunteers to help with the stop watches and finish line.

ObiJuanAk

Bonfire wood?

#7 Post by ObiJuanAk »

So how did the pallet delivery go? I was willing to help out, but never heard/saw anything about it after the general meeting. Did it happen? :dunno:

Juan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

What I know....

Dean got a couple trailer loads out to the site.

Steve is still take his dump load out, don't know when.

Alan is trying to get some more pallets now. He has a 3 place trailer and would like another one or two trailer loads. So if you can get off during the day (have to get pallets between 8:00am and 5:00 pm) give him a call.

That is the extent of my knowledge ..

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Hope the weather man iswrongm but bring your long johns just in case :brrr:

ObiJuanAk

#10 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Bummer. No way I can make it out between 8 and 5. If there's a load going out after hours give me a call.

:doh:

Juan

REVITUP

Pallets

#11 Post by REVITUP »

Steve and I will be heading out to Chena Lakes with pallets on Friday. We are also going to do a little more work on the obstacle course, we had to let some snow set up :twisted: . The guys out there are great!