Chena Lakes from Plack Rd

Issues and concerns on land use and trail issues. Look here for recent articles related to these two concerns

Moderator: john

TheBearAk

Chena Lakes from Plack Rd

#1 Post by TheBearAk »

Anyone know why they've blocked off the Plack Road access to Chena Lakes?

Someone has already made a trail around the road block, but it is kind of a tight trail.

My understanding is there are non-snowmobile trails, but the majority of the trails are open, along with the lakes.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

David

Re: Chena Lakes from Plack Rd

#2 Post by David »

I was over there today real pain trying to go through the woods, I can see blocking off trucks but snow machines come on really,
If the whole place is open to sleds whats the point
Dave
YAMAHA RIDERS(4stroke)

TheBearAk

#3 Post by TheBearAk »

My guess is they buckled down on blocking the ATVs out and just not moved anything out of the way yet. They may not move it.

There were a lot of 4 wheelers ignoring the signs. Personally, I'd like to see them allow 4 wheelers on that side of the lake (west side) and just put road blocks around the sides to keep them from going to the east side and on the dike to the north. I just think they could make it more ATV friendly and still maintain the integrity of the park. There are lots of trails on the east side of the flood control area that are outside the project, but really tough to get to from anywhere in North Pole.
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

The blocking is actually done by the land owners. The Pipeline runs across private property and the property owners have the right to block access across it as they chose.

We reviewed this issue a number of years back, and per Alyeska and the state, it is private property. Although it might be considered a Utility Right of Way, just like a power line right of way, the land owner may block access for non-utility purposes.

TheBearAk

#5 Post by TheBearAk »

I'm not talking about the Pipeline access. This is the end of the Plack Road. aka, back entry to Chena Lakes. I've lived out off Plack road for 15 years and they've always allowed snowmachines through there.

A few years ago they put up a fence and post to keep the trucks out and they put a NO ATV sign up, but still left an opening for snowmachines.

This year there is a big cement block blocking the path. I'm sure it is some Corp of Engineers thing. (don't get me started on them *&(^%.)
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

I'd talk to COE rangers. They've always been supportive of willing to work the snowmachine community.

Next time I'm out that way I'll ask them about.

TheBearAk

#7 Post by TheBearAk »

thanks, I can't talk to them anymore. They'd probably give me a ticket for standing in their sunshine.

I really get the feeling that the budget cuts are forcing them to justify their existence by writing tickets to anyone that even looks at the flood control project wrong.
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

TheBearAk

#8 Post by TheBearAk »

Got a message back:

"I am sorry to hear that our efforts to keep out ATV’s has inconvenienced you and restricted your access to our trail system. As you may or may not know, FNSB Parks and Recreation leases the Recreation Area from the US Army Corp of Engineers. Recently the Corp gave us notice that we have not been doing enough to mitigate ATV access at that particular point of entry. We were told we would be out of compliance with the terms of our lease if we did not do more to block access. We beefed up our barriers this summer to stay in compliance, but doing so certainly makes it harder for snowmachines to get through in the winter. We are aware of this issue and we intend to rectify it by installing a gate or a removable bollard of some kind to allow for seasonal access. Unfortunately this project will have to wait until the ground thaws this summer. I will do what I can with our limited winter staff to see if we can move one of the rootballs or barriers to better allow for temporary access this winter until we can install a more permanent fix. Hopefully you will be able to find your way around or use our trailhead in the Park for the time being. I appreciate your concerns and please let me know if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you and have a great day.

-Ricky Borland
Chena Lakes Manager
FNSB Parks and Recreation"
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

TheBearAk

#9 Post by TheBearAk »

I'm hoping that if a gate is installed, it is not in-line with the road, but rather off to the north side for trail access. This would help keep the noise and traffic down from the road in front of the house that is right there on the corner.
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

I know Ricky at Boro office of Chena Lakes, go talk to him, he's a good guy and will do what he said he would. If you have some suggestions that would help, he's willing to listen. Or send an email so you don't block anyones sunshine :joke: