Closures at Ester

Issues and concerns on land use and trail issues. Look here for recent articles related to these two concerns

Moderator: john

paulneva

Closures at Ester

#1 Post by paulneva »

I got this from Geoff a few days ago. He is active on trail issues in this area. I think it is worth knowing about and helping him out if we can.

Paul

====

Hi Folks,

As you are aware, we have two important trail issues happening in the Ester area: 1) the blockage of the Ester Creek Road, preventing access to public lands further west in Ester Valley and the Social Security Mine Trail, Fireplug Trail and the Tri-Con Mine Road; and 2) the recent blockage of the Eva Creek Trail, also know as the Ester Village Trail. Both these trails/roads have had open and continuous use by the public since the 1950’s; and have either recorded right-of-way easements, likely RS 2477 designation, or prescriptive easements granting public access.

Over the last year, I have unsuccessfully tried to resolve both access issues, and now feel that a legal strategy is the only option to keep the trails open to the public. The Ester Community Association (ECA) and its board of directors have passed motions supporting this decision. Rather than form a committee within the ECA to pursue this, I have decided to act independently of the ECA, as an individual. Obviously, with litigation, there are no guaranteed outcomes, but I feel we have a good position; and if we don’t act, we are setting a precedent and are guaranteed to lose access to these trails.

More to come later… If anyone desires additional information, or has thoughts concerning these issues, or this strategy, please contact me by phone or email.

Geoff Orth

P.O. Box 22 Ester, AK 99725 USA
v: +1.907.479.0014 f: +1.907.479.0015
Skype or +1.805.624.6360
gcorth@straydogs.us
Last edited by paulneva on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul S. Renschen

Summit800

Re: Closures at Ester

#2 Post by Summit800 »

We as a group should do everything possible to keep these trails open. This is exactly why these clubs are so important.
What are the legalities here?

Darrell

Re: Closures at Ester

#3 Post by Darrell »

Hope the board keeps up with this one. Would like to see these trails stay open.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.