EASEMENTS CAN BENEFIT PROPERTY OWNERS

Issues and concerns on land use and trail issues. Look here for recent articles related to these two concerns

Moderator: john

DrMartiniX

Re: EASEMENTS CAN BENEFIT PROPERTY OWNERS

#16 Post by DrMartiniX »

I am a relatively new person to this board, but not the outdoors and trails. It also seems unfair that snow machiners pay for so much when there are so many users. Not one person so far has mentioned horses and pack animals. I have done extensive volunteer work with US Fish and Wildlife Service. There was a report issued in the last few years about the impact on various types of trail uses. Snow machines ranked among the LEAST damaging to trails even less so than horses. Of course these reports were all based simply on pounds per square inch transferred to the ground. As an avid four-wheeler in the summer I accept that quads are the most damaging mode of transportation on trails, but I try to minimize my impact and teach others to do the same. It just seems like every yin has its yang in this battle yet it remains motorized transport bears the brunt of the burden.

Zach
Mr. President,
I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, MONEY AND FREEDOM... YOU KEEP THE CHANGE

john
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by john »

oleo wrote:I have a question. Since I've never seen a recreational use fuel pump or anyone at a gas station take notice of what type of vehicle is being filled up, how is the amount of the federal fuel tax allocated to recreational use determined.
I have an off road truck that burns 100% recreational fuel and I would like it to be counted. :P
I believe its based on the number of vehicles registered in the state and those registered as recreational. I know most of us, me included until 2 years ago, never registered our ATV's even though its been a law since the 80's. This actually hurt by not including those vehicles in the total count.
DrMartiniX wrote:As an avid four-wheeler in the summer I accept that quads are the most damaging mode of transportation on trails, but I try to minimize my impact and teach others to do the same. It just seems like every yin has its yang in this battle yet it remains motorized transport bears the brunt of the burden.
Zach
We have had the pleasure of helping two people out with some studies they've done in the past. And yes, the damage to trails is directly related to Pounds Per Square Inch. Fact is "hikers" do more trail damage than snowmachines, have the on ground study to prove this one.. and yes horses, bicycles and ATV's do even more. This is one reason it just TICKS me off that no one else pays into the trail funds.

I remember during the point of sale registration debate that some folks wanted to have each tracked imprinted with a users registration number, so they could find you by the imprint you left on the snow. I was against this at the time, but the more I think back on it maybe that wasn't such a bad idea, then we could imprint horse shoes, dog booties, and hiking boots with their paid registration fee... :joke:

oleo

#18 Post by oleo »

john wrote:
oleo wrote:I have a question. Since I've never seen a recreational use fuel pump or anyone at a gas station take notice of what type of vehicle is being filled up, how is the amount of the federal fuel tax allocated to recreational use determined.
I have an off road truck that burns 100% recreational fuel and I would like it to be counted. :P
I believe its based on the number of vehicles registered in the state and those registered as recreational. I know most of us, me included until 2 years ago, never registered our ATV's even though its been a law since the 80's. This actually hurt by not including those vehicles in the total count.
The problem with this is there is no "recreational" OHV registration. My current truck isn't registered because it isn't driven on the road. It gets trailered to the trail. If I do register it, according to the method you desribed, it would be counter productive to trail funding since it would add to the "highway" vehicle side of the equation.
Just something to ponder :eh:

REVITUP

#19 Post by REVITUP »

Used to be that if you bought fuel (diesel) that was being used as heating fuel (for your home) and you told the cashier, they deducted the road tax. I don't know how that would work for OHV's. Just something to think about. May not even be an option.

ObiJuanAk

#20 Post by ObiJuanAk »

"The problem with this is there is no "recreational" OHV registration. My current truck isn't registered because it isn't driven on the road. It gets trailered to the trail. If I do register it, according to the method you desribed, it would be counter productive to trail funding since it would add to the "highway" vehicle side of the equation.
Just something to ponder :eh:"

You would have to register it as an ATV/OHV, not as a road going truck, to benefit from the numbers. :thumbsup:

DrMartiniX

#21 Post by DrMartiniX »

I remember during the point of sale registration debate that some folks wanted to have each tracked imprinted with a users registration number, so they could find you by the imprint you left on the snow. I was against this at the time, but the more I think back on it maybe that wasn't such a bad idea, then we could imprint horse shoes, dog booties, and hiking boots with their paid registration fee... :joke:[/quote]

:rolf: Good one John! Or the way things are going next we will have to buy mandatory GPS trackers with the equipment and then pay to moniter them and pay to build the network LMAO. Some people just won't see it someone elses way!
Mr. President,

john
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by john »

ObiJuanAk wrote:You would have to register it as an ATV/OHV, not as a road going truck, to benefit from the numbers
I'm not sure he could, the definition of an ATV, per DMV includes low pressure tires. Per DMV site
A snow vehicle is a vehicle propelled by mechanical power, supported in part by ski's, belts, cleats, or low pressure tires and primarily designed to travel over ice and snow. ATVs with low pressure tires may be registered as snow vehicles.
So he's right in not being able to add his truck to the count. I don't think I'd want to open that can of worms by making it an issue with DVM, might not like their take on it (registering full size trucks as OHV's)....... :faga:

Just smile as you drive along and enjoy the fact that your not paying any fees, yet ... ! :singing:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by john »

DrMartiniX wrote: Or the way things are going next we will have to buy mandatory GPS trackers .....
Big Brother is watching...... :couch:

DrMartiniX

#24 Post by DrMartiniX »

LMAO, John that just makes your quote ever so much more appropriate! :thumbleft: "thumbright:

:bangin: Take that evil government conspiracies! :joke:
Mr. President,