Isberg Recreation Area Update

Issues and concerns on land use and trail issues. Look here for recent articles related to these two concerns

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Isberg Recreation Area Update

#1 Post by john »

Dear Friends of Isberg Recreation Area,

I’d like to introduce myself to all of you and apologize for the rather lengthy absence in updates on the Isberg Recreation Area. As you may know, there was a 70% turn-over in Parks & Recreation staff during the summer of 2008. Among the changes we have a new Director of Parks & Recreation, new Parks Superintendent, and Parks Maintenance Manager/Foreman. In the fall, I also became a new member of the Parks & Recreation staff. With so many projects on Parks & Rec’s roster, it has taken me a bit of time to study up on the needs and goals of your local recreation area and to complete some important wetlands permitting and grant follow-ups.

Now, I have a solid update for you. Here’s what has transpired over the past 6 months:

· Parks & Recreation submitted a Wetlands Permit Application to the Army Corps of Engineers in September 2009.

· Due to changes to the federal government rule regarding “Compensatory Mitigation for Losses of Aquatic Resources” in 2008, and because of the complexity of the new ruling and its required compensatory mitigation, Parks & Recreation felt that the best course of action would be to reduce the scope of Isberg Recreation Area wetlands permit. We focused on the 100-Mile Loop Trail hardening only, because in the process of trail hardening, we will reduce the escalating braiding encountered along the trail, and the restoration of the adjacent wetlands will compensate for the relatively small amount of fill that would be required to improve the existing trail.

· The Isberg Recreation Area Phase 1a project received the Wetlands Permit on October 31, 2008.

· In December 2009, Parks & Recreation received the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation’s Recreational Trails Grant for $50,000.

· Parks & Recreation staff made several site visits to capture additional GPS information and confirm the locations of the trail hardening and the staging areas for this year’s construction.

· In April 2009, the Borough Assembly approved a $12,500 match in funds for the Recreational Trails Grant funding.

· Following thorough study of the new federal rule and the compensatory mitigation options, Parks & Recreation will be submitting a second Wetlands Permit Application to the Army Corps of Engineers in June 2009.

Our plans for this year’s construction include:

· Hardening the 100-Mile Loop Trail section that passes through the Isberg Recreation area, using minimal fill to incur the least visual impact, and placing culverts at strategic points along the trail to allow for the continued free flow of surrounding water. (Attached is a PDF of the Trail cross-section.)

· Volunteers from the Smokejumpers will do selective harvesting of 6” – 10” spruce for the trail hardening project. As their fire season and time allows, they will also assist in the trail construction.

· Parks & Recreation will be holding a Volunteer Work Party and BBQ later on this summer, where we can work together with you and your neighbors to build “test” sections of the new trail hardening technique – a state-of-the-art wetlands trail design that has been used with great success in the Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve. I’ll let you know that date and time as it approaches.

· Upon receipt of the second Wetlands Permit, Parks & Recreation plans to construct the primary parking lot along Oboe Court this fall.

· Parks & Recreation will also be installing trail signs to alert trail users of road crossings.

I look forward to meeting you and working with you at Isberg Recreation Area this summer. Again, my apologies for taking so long to update you on this important project. The wheels sometimes turn slowly here at the borough. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. My phone number is 459-1099, or feel free to drop by to talk with me. I am located at the Parks & Recreation office upstairs in the Big Dipper Ice Arena.

Best,

Nancy

Nancy Veitch
Parks Project Coordinator
Fairbanks North Star Borough
Department of Parks and Recreation
P.O. Box 71267
Fairbanks, AK 99707
(907) 459-1099
Fax: (907) 459-1072