Trail Blockage

Issues and concerns on land use and trail issues. Look here for recent articles related to these two concerns

Moderator: john

TLR

Trail Blockage

#1 Post by TLR »

John perhaps you can enlighten me on this. I went out for a short ride right after the fresh snow and ended up heading west on the CHS winter trail. Upon crossing the bridge over the little Chena and planning on at least getting to Nordale Road I found a barracade attempting to block travel in the 50' easement along the bank of the Little Chena. I seem to recall at one point in a conversation with you that you had also encountered this either during trail work in the area or sometime else. Now I'm sure there's a barracade on the western property line as well so what is being done by our two favorite property owners is now people are being forced (through intimidation) to make that brutal leap of faith down and then try to blast up the banks of the Little Chena. Had we known at the time that this hassle with these property owners would ensue I would have been much less eager to spend our time and energy on upgrading that bridge. It may also be time to push this issue and see where in fact it ends up. The question which comes to my mind is, does the 50' along the mean high water mark allow motorized use? :x
I've spent a lot of money on snowmobiles over the years, the rest I just pi**ed away!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Hum, guess I should run that trail again, what are you doing tomorrow ??

Immediately after you cross the bridge, hang a sharp left and stay within the 50 foot easement, any boards up, knock them down !!

However, make sure your within the 50 foot easement. There is a gate type of fencing up farther down the road, but it is actually outside the 50 foot easement. You do have to pass with close proximety of it, but again within the 50 foot easement. We brushed it open to where the old trail that you use to take to come out - ride onto the Little Chena.

To your question on the 50' mark, yes. I've discussed this with the trail folks and were good to go as far as legal access. Unless of course they (folks blocking the trail) move to designate it non-motorized.

To date, we have followed and abided by all the laws and our actions have been legal.

There are some more (legal) actions we could take, but I'd prefer to discuss this off line, at least for now :<)

TLR

Trail Blockage

#3 Post by TLR »

Let's see what the weather is like in the morning and perhaps we could leave from Leroys place and check it out coming from the west. This trail needs to be pushed through one way or another.
I've spent a lot of money on snowmobiles over the years, the rest I just pi**ed away!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Call and let me know

TLR

Trail Blockage

#5 Post by TLR »

I would but I don't have your phone number. Is it listed in the old newsletters?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Well, TLR and I, along with Leroy, connected up on the Winter Trail.

I have to say you all missed a great day for riding and nice short ride along the trail, ah, but back to the trail blockage.

The trail blockage was OK, it's mainly in the 50 foot easement, but there is an easy get around about 2 feet closer to the Little Chena, so no biggie.

The problem was that no one had opened the trail at all. So we got to break it open and get stuck a couple times, knock down or go around some trees that fell across it since we brushed it out last summer.

So after a good sweat had developed, we hit the Winter Trail and headed toward Chena Lakes a couple miles, ran into a small traffic jam i.e. dog team all tangled up with 2 sleds behind (well 5 actually if you count us) and 5 in front.

But as I said, a nice day to ride :) :)

[albumimg]913[/albumimg]

[albumimg]914[/albumimg]

[albumimg]915[/albumimg]

[albumimg]916[/albumimg]