Mapping software

Have questions on using a GPS?, maybe you have some thoughts on which ones work on a sled and those that won't hold up?... Let us know

Moderator: john

TLR

Mapping software

#1 Post by TLR »

I'm wondering what people are using for their GPS mapping software. At the present time I'm struggling with Nat. Geo's. Topo 4 and was wondering if there are some viable alternatives out there. Preferably with Alaska maps already included, as I'm aware of some products which require the maps to be loaded from another source. What works? :wall:
I've spent a lot of money on snowmobiles over the years, the rest I just pi**ed away!

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mapping software

#2 Post by john »

I know the frustration on mapping and GPS.

What are you trying to do is the big question.

I've been slacking on my mapping stuff, but what I found to be the best for me is using the US Topo's, which I've loaded onto a USB drive with the whole state.

I connect to it from my laptop and then down load the Track Log or Way Points from my GPS and overlay it.

An easy way is to download your GPS log(s) (tracks or way points) as a GPX or Text file and go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ and convert the file into whatever format you want or have it overlayed onto a map you can print out.

I have some info on the Map page at http://www.snowtravelers.org/gps.php which may help.

I know I need to get my mapping stuff back together and current and then meet with Chuck Johnson and go over it and how to accomplish what we want to do, my main focus is getting more trails on line under the map section.

There are a number of options these days, OziExplorer and GPSBable to name a few.

Hope this helps

PS Edit, one of things i really like about gpsvisualizer is you can convert your log files in Google Earth and what they call the Multi Option Viewer so you can change the maps overlay from Topo to Hybred, to Street view and others.

TLR

#3 Post by TLR »

Well I finally got to the bottom of the Nat. Geo. Topo issue. The fact is my Garmin 62s is not compatible with Nat. Geo. Darn near all other Garmin products are. Since getting this Garmin unit I've found out that it's a bit of a turd compared to the model it replaces. Sometimes I get the feeling that simply because we have the capability to change something doesn't mean that the new version will be any better and is in many cases worse than the previous one. I do have another question with regard to mapping software. OziExplorer or Fugawi? Likes dislikes etc. :needsnow:
I've spent a lot of money on snowmobiles over the years, the rest I just pi**ed away!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Bummer on the Nat Geo your new GPS :(

Of the two, I like OziExplorer better, Darrell could probable provide a better comparison than I on them.

Snow should be here soon :<)... I hope....

Doing Snow Dance :singing: