GPS trails and Google Earth

Have questions on using a GPS?, maybe you have some thoughts on which ones work on a sled and those that won't hold up?... Let us know

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

GPS trails and Google Earth

#1 Post by john »

I'm updating the trail information in our Trails Database (http://www.snowtravelers.org/gps.php) by adding .gpx files and .kmz files.

GPX, or GPS eXchange Format is an XML schema designed for describing GPS data between software applications. This allows for more versatility in sharing and using the information.

On some systems, you have to right click on the link and select "Save Link As" to save the file.

KML was developed for use with Google Earth, which was originally named Keyhole Earth Viewer. You may download Google Earth for free from their web site (http://earth.google.com/intl/en/download-earth.html).

If you already have Google Earth installed, just click on the link and either use the Save function to save it to your local hard drive or open it with Google Earth.

Let me know what you think.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GPS trails and Google Earth

#2 Post by john »

So give me some feed back folks.

You all like the updated maps, plan to use them, or am I wasting my time ?

Check out the option titled "Multi Option Viewer" you can switch between different view options, such as Topo's, LandSat, Terrain, and more.

ObiJuanAk

#3 Post by ObiJuanAk »

All maps, especially updated ones, are good! :groupwave:

You are doing good John, thank you!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Thanks Juan

Christien&Shelbye

#5 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

That Multi-Option viewer is slick John!

The Interior really suffers from documented, marked, and maintained trails. New-comers to the sport and area are at a strong disadvantage when it comes to finding fun places to ride without having to trailer 30 miles or so. I've got about 1500 or so miles in last season and have tracklogs covering everything from the whites; goldstream valley to the dunkles and denali highways. All done with a newer garmin. I'll see what i can do to contribute as this is probably the best interface i've seen yet for any of the trails database sites covering Alaska. Lots of my stuff though all originates from the goldstream valley as that's where we live. We do a ton of riding during the week right from our front door. Not so much in town or south of town. Have yet to do any riding on the Chena Hot Springs trails yet but those seem well documented.

Anyway; nice work!

Christien & Shelbye

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Thanks Guys,

Just email the tracks when you get around to it and I'll set them up.

:)