Clothing

Somethings you should always remembers before you go for ride.
Did I forget anything ? Let us all know

Moderator: john

jasjew

Clothing

#1 Post by jasjew »

Just a quick question for the group and the Fairbanks natives. When you are out riding what do you guys and girls wear for mid layer. I always have a base layer of Under Armour and then my bib pants and jacket. I have tried sweatpants and a columbia thin fleece top but can not find the perfect combination. I know the lower 48 the dressing is different so I'm looking for the Fairbanks dress. Most of the time I don't go riding below -15. Thanks for the help.

Jason

2012 Yamaha Venture GT (2)

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clothing

#2 Post by john »

I wear jeans and wool for my base and mid layer. Wool stays warm even when wet and is a good insulating material for those cold days.

Summit800

#3 Post by Summit800 »

Jody talked me into ditching the jeans for a pair of polyester wader liners and a poly pro type of shirt. Very comfortable down to -20, And I look fast too! :thumbup:

REVITUP

#4 Post by REVITUP »

I used to wear jeans over either poly or silk/satin (ladies long johns), I found that in negative temps and sometimes even in the teens, I was cold. Cotton is not good in the cold, proven fact. I wear a light polar fleece pant over a base layer and it is more comfortable and warmer, also helps wick moisture for the "active" riding. Hard to beat Under Armour for base layers too. Same goes for your torso; base layer, wicking layer (also creates air space), outer layer. Can't begin to say enough regarding quality outer gear either, it's expensive, spend the money. One trip out at -30 or colder, you will be thankful for it. And no, we never "plan" to ride when it's that cold but it has happened. Peter is planning on having a seminar at our February meeting about gear, should be a good one.

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

Nobody has mentioned boots yet. When I moved here I assumed that 40 below boots would be adequate since I had no plans on playing outside at colder than 25 below. I was wrong. For riding at 20 below or colder, you need at least -80 boots. :brrr:

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

cleary

#6 Post by cleary »

paulneva wrote:Nobody has mentioned boots yet. When I moved here I assumed that 40 below boots would be adequate since I had no plans on playing outside at colder than 25 below. I was wrong. For riding at 20 below or colder, you need at least -80 boots. :brrr:

Paul

I put my bunny boots on in the fall and take them off in the spring.

:big_grin: Chuck :big_grin:

Summit800

#7 Post by Summit800 »

Im with you Chuck! Nothing else compares.

REVITUP

#8 Post by REVITUP »

Bunny boots aren't a fashion statement? It took Steve a long time to talk me in to wearing them, now, I wouldn't wear anything else.

dragonman

#9 Post by dragonman »

I use Klim riding boots they have a lot of support in the ankles if you ride standing or kneeling
other than that Bunny boots are the way to go
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

TheBearAk

#10 Post by TheBearAk »

Depends on the expected temp. I usually keep something extra in the bag, but overdressing, even in layers can be a hassle.

Above -10 I typically just wear jeans with snow bibs on top. t-shirt, fleece and coat on top is good for just about any temp. Coat should be something that sheds snow/water really well.
My coat is a two part one, it has a thick fleece coat under a windbreaker that zips together. I happen to have a wool coat that works with it as well. Mittens, not gloves. My boots are Sorrels that have rubber up to the ankle, and then tough cloth (like carhart material) up. Wool liners. These are fully water proof up to the hole in the top.
My butt gets cold once in a while because the bibs don't have much insulation there. Wearing long johns or sweat pants cures that.
I always wear a helmet with full faced mask. Typically wear one of those thin helmet hat/mask. If it is really cold, I'll put on a fleece headband and use it as a scarf to cover my neck area better. Coat zipped all the way up keeps the wind out.

Keep in my bag: Sweat pants (can act as long johns if needed), gloves (typically a pair of work gloves and snow gloves), extra fleece, extra socks and wool socks.
My bag is semi-waterproof, (water can get through the zipper if fully submersed) and I typically put everything in plastic bags. (grocery bags work).

Bunny boots are great, I had a pair until water got inside the vent hole. They turned into bricks.

I don't go riding when it is -20 or colder anymore, but when I used to, the most important thing to remember is cover up ever square inch of skin to protect from wind. Anything that is exposed for more than a few minutes while riding will be frostbitten. Common areas are the neck, cheeks, eyes, ears, and between coat and snow pants, which is why I like bibs. Helmet covers the eyes cheeks and ears, but the wind hitting your chest can force cold air up under it.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

jasjew

#11 Post by jasjew »

Thanks for the help. I look forward to hitting the trails with the club if I can get some Friday nights off. Looking at the schedule, the furture is looking bright and white.....