Burning Rubber

Somethings you should always remembers before you go for ride.
Did I forget anything ? Let us all know

Moderator: john

TheBearAk

Burning Rubber

#1 Post by TheBearAk »

I got reminded of the story a year or so ago about the couple guys that got stuck up in the mountains and they ended up burning their machines to survive.

It made me wonder if they had a knife? I know by the time you decide to do something like that, you're probably pretty desperate. With a knife, you could cut the track off and cut it into smaller pieces to make it last longer. Cut the seat off to burn as well, and even poke a hole in the gas take if you are not able to roll the machine.

Not much else on the machine will actually burn.

I know in desperate times, money is not a factor, but wouldn't that be a better alternative then torching the whole machine? Seems like it would stretch your survival longer too.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

Alaskan Polar Bear

Re: Burning Rubber

#2 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

Of the 3 machines 2 were insured, the bozo's were in a valley real close to the runway parking area in street clothes,
i don't remember if they had helmets with them, but i think not.
if they had a helmet they could have built a signal fire in the helmet and stayed warm at the same time...
after this event my son and i went over what we could burn off the machine to stay warm, yet be able to use the machine if the conditions changed,
mudflap, windshield, cowling, side panels, airbox, then the seat, and i figure the plastic ski's, , as the son never uses his anyway,,in bits and pieces a few at a time ,,, yup could'a been out there a quite a while before I had to torched the sled,,
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Burning Rubber

#3 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

Tony contact me via my email address at seeprop@juno.com...I tried to send you an email a few weeks ago and it did not go thru