Maps and park boundaries

Somethings you should always remembers before you go for ride.
Did I forget anything ? Let us all know

Moderator: john

Bulldog

Maps and park boundaries

#1 Post by Bulldog »

Last spring I rode south of Cantwell for the first time, I usually ride at Summit Lake. I had received directions from a friend who told me to park at Mile 196 and ride on the west side of the highway. I followed all the tracks and got into some good riding areas and had a blast. This year I was looking online for dates of when riding would begin in this area and found the maps showing how close this area is to the Denali Park boundaries. I wasn't aware that I even needed to be worried about crossing into the park from here, but now I do. I figured I'd share the National Park Service snowmobile regulations and boundary map with everyone. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/snowmobiling.htm The map on the second page of the regulations has GPS coordinates for the boundaries. I also shared this information with my friends who ride at Petersville. They didn't realize how close they were to the park as well.
2009 Arctic Cat Crossfire 1000
2009 Arctic Cat M1000
2006 Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 Longtrack

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Maps and park boundaries

#2 Post by john »

Thanks Bulldog,

This has always been an issue with riders and NPS. NPS tried to get Broad Pass closed a some years back, but the ASSA fought them in court and won.

Every trip I make to Cantwell and Petersville keeps me cautious on where I'm riding, of course they don't have it posted very well, so using a GPS is handy.

With that said, both areas have some excellent riding while staying outside the closed area and is worth the run.