Avalanche beacon group purchase

Somethings you should always remembers before you go for ride.
Did I forget anything ? Let us all know

Moderator: john

dirtyrice

Avalanche beacon group purchase

#1 Post by dirtyrice »

I'm trying to get people together for a group purchase of Avalanche beacons at Northern Power. The model I am looking at is the BCA tracker 2. Its arguably the easiest to use beacon there is and thats important when you are full of adrenaline searching for your buried friend.
MSRP of the Tracker 2 is 335.00. Depending on how many people want to purchase will determine what kinda price we can get. I'm hoping at least get them down to 300.00 each. I have asked the Northern Lights Snowmobile club if they want to get in on the group purchase too.
I know 300.00 is a lot of money but if you are like me and want to ride in the steep and deep you really have to look at the beacon as required equipment. How would you feel if your buddy who had a beacon died in an avalanche and you couldn't find him because you were too cheap to buy one?

Think about it mountain riders...

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Avalanche beacon group purchase

#2 Post by john »

DR,

Have you ask about a full pack deal ? I have an older beacon and would be interested in updating it, so count me in if we can get them to $300.00

I would be more interested in a full pack deal with beacon, probe, and shovel. I'd like to upgrade and then give my current one to my G-son who doesn't have a set yet.

Hum, maybe I'll keep the older one and give him the newer one as it'd be me he'd be looking for :<)

dirtyrice

#3 Post by dirtyrice »

John,

No I haven't asked about a package deal but I can if there is interest. If you (or anyone else in the club) are interested I will just give you my old backpack. It is the Fly Racing backpack that comes in that kit you can buy from Western Power Sports. Its not a bad pack but the shovel handle/probe compartments arent fully captive so theres a chance you could lose them, which I'm not a fan of.

If we can't get a good deal on a package you can check out the guy on snowwest called "Snowbigdeal". He has pretty good package deals. If we don't get enough interest to do a big purchase you and I could probably get him to cut us a deal if we buy a couple beacons ect.

I attached a pic of the backpack (backpack only, im keeping the probe/shovel :) )

-Ken
Last edited by dirtyrice on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtyrice

#4 Post by dirtyrice »

john wrote:
Hum, maybe I'll keep the older one and give him the newer one as it'd be me he'd be looking for :<)

So what happens if he's the one buried and you have the older, less accurate and user friendly beacon?

This is why I have decided to always go with the best stuff I can possibly afford for avalanche survival. People die every single year.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

dirtyrice wrote: So what happens if he's the one buried and you have the older, less accurate and user friendly beacon?
I'd better be very good with my older unit or plan for a divorced and daughter holding a shotgun when I get home.

All joking aside, I agree with you on having the best possible in case of the need for there use, someone gets buried every year and I'm still surprised at how many folks don't even carry one with them. Having a beacon and gear are probable more important than anything else a mountain rider could be carrying.

Summit800

#6 Post by Summit800 »

I hate to disagree, but the most important thing is that stuff between your ears. Also for some the least used.

mit

#7 Post by mit »

Summit800 wrote:I hate to disagree, but the most important thing is that stuff between your ears. Also for some the least used.
I can second that motion and you can use me as an exhibit! :doh:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

And thus we have the Darwin Awards for those who least use that space between their ears.

dirtyrice

#9 Post by dirtyrice »

So the group purchase never really happened but thats ok. I just found out that snowbigdea.com has a huge sale going on for thanksgiving. The Tracker 2 Beacon MSRP 335.00 is on sale for 265.00. Its a steal of a price so get em while they have them!