Emergency & Survival Gear, be sure to carry the following

Somethings you should always remembers before you go for ride.
Did I forget anything ? Let us all know

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Emergency & Survival Gear, be sure to carry the followin

#16 Post by john »

The difference between the two (besides the caliber) is the impact energy that the bullet has. The .45 has greater impact energy because it is a larger bullet. Unfortunately, it also has greater recoil when fired.

The .38 is a good round because it has lower recoil making it easier to shoot. It is also smaller, making weapons that use it smaller than most .45's. However, the .38 has never been able to be effectively used in an automatic pistol (IMHO).

The .45 is a better weapon if you need a heavier bullet with more impact energy that can be fired effectively from an automatic pistol. It is also available as a revolver but these are not common. And being a heavier round, the .45 will penetrate further. I like the penetration of the 45 for what I consider to be the most likely situation to occur on winter trails, an encounter with a moose or possible survival needs where more stopping power would be beneficial.

During the summer months I carry a 44 mag for the same reason with anticipation of needing it to stop more aggressive and physically healthier animals. I don't carry my 44 mag on my sled do to size when I'm also geared up in layers, which is not the case in the summer on my ATV.

I know there are others on here with more knowledge and experience and would like to hear their thoughts as well.

Summit800

#17 Post by Summit800 »

I typically carry a 629 .44 Mag. while hunting. But for the life of me, I cannot figure what I would need to defend against in the winter that a well loaded .38 wouldnt handle. Whatever would be close enough to hit with a 45, would quite easilly be taken care of with a .38, or even a 22 mag may be a good choice.
I hear a lot of people pack the 45, a lot of the time just because it sounds bigger, in reality ( in my opinion) is fairly useless outside of the home for personal protection. Now, In the winter, broken down or stranded in the great outdoors, I would be more inclined to carry something to kill food with, This is where the 22 Mag would become desireable, good for small game, and can also dispatch a impact damaged moose if necessary, bunnies, ptarmigan, grouse, and Id even take a squirrell if circumstances required it to survive. Try any one of those with a slow, tumbling .45 cal chunk of lead and there aint that much left.

as for penetration, the .45 while being a nice diameter piece of lead, aint got squat for length or powder behind it. Thats why they were so desireable in law enforcement "back in the day" for law enforcement, the bullet tumbles and does have a fair amount of knockdown power, but not much for penetration. If your looking for penetration, take the .38 or .357.
As for the semi auto thing, I will take the reliability of a wheel gun anytime.

Even Law enforcement officers have stopped packing the wwII relic, and are now favoring the .40 or the 10mm.

Remember, just because it sounds bigger and badder, it aint always the case.

Would be happy to supply any ballistic information if needed.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by john »

Point taken.

I've thought about the 22 mag for the reasons you've noted and may yet change my mind on what I carry.